Mt Vernon AE vs E2 Pros/Cons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RMongeau

Jan 25, 2014
Seekonk, Massachusetts
After doing some research, I went to my local dealer to buy the MV AE. While I love my Voyager Grand, I was looking for something less time consuming for my downstairs fireplace. I really liked the auto clean firepot feature and setback thermostat.
I got the impression the dealer was trying to steer me towards the E2, but I ended up getting the AE for
$3950 with the $200 quad coupon. (not counting the extras and installation)
I still have a few days to make up my mind though since they still have to send someone out to take measurements.
If anyone has any pro/cons, I would love to hear them.

I tried doing a comparison of the two yesterday on Quads site and only difference using their comparison was the ability for burning different fuel and a wireless remote? Looking forward to someones input as there is a 4 year old stove for sale for $1400 that would be a nice replacement for my folks. The local dealers don't handle pellet products.

I looked at both and for me the E2 won out, even though it requires a bit more hands on maintenance (which really isn't much IMHO). A simpler design and cheaper parts (especially circuit board) pushed me to the E2.

I tried doing a comparison of the two yesterday on Quads site and only difference using their comparison was the ability for burning different fuel and a wireless remote? Looking forward to someones input as there is a 4 year old stove for sale for $1400 that would be a nice replacement for my folks. The local dealers don't handle pellet products.
The AE has to cool off and shut down to dump the pot. Then it has to add pellets or corn and relight. Takes time to build up heat again. it also has a small ash container. They also are known for igniter failure. The owner can't do very much to fine tune it other then the thermostat. The board can be updated by a dealer if he has the right computer and software but they won't give that to a AE owner.
The early ones had a nasty habit of burning up the feeder tube. I know where there is one that has all the updates but has to be assembled It is about in the middle of SD. Truth be known it had a fire and the owner got all new parts but never put it together saying they could never trust it again.

The AE has to cool off and shut down to dump the pot. Then it has to add pellets or corn and relight. Takes time to build up heat again. it also has a small ash container. They also are known for igniter failure. The owner can't do very much to fine tune it other then the thermostat. The board can be updated by a dealer if he has the right computer and software but they won't give that to a AE owner.
The early ones had a nasty habit of burning up the feeder tube. I know where there is one that has all the updates but has to be assembled It is about in the middle of SD. Truth be known it had a fire and the owner got all new parts but never put it together saying they could never trust it again.
I know the stove model had some issues in early production but thought they had a good record in the latter ones. To bad not a hot drop like a Bixby. Our Bixby is going to get more than a fair share of the work with corn that it does so well with. Have done a very complete cleaning and checking of its systems to be ready. With two rains of over an inch of rain all crops are looking good but now the worry of early frost with temps next week in low 70's.

I know the stove model had some issues in early production but thought they had a good record in the latter ones. To bad not a hot drop like a Bixby. Our Bixby is going to get more than a fair share of the work with corn that it does so well with. Have done a very complete cleaning and checking of its systems to be ready. With two rains of over an inch of rain all crops are looking good but now the worry of early frost with temps next week in low 70's.
I bought one and a friend of mine also got one the first year they were out. I bought it because it was advertised as a multi fuel stove that would put out 60,000 btus. Previously I had a Harman PC45 similar to the one I sold you. It wasn't big enough so I figured 60,000 btu would be a good replacement.
The first year seen several items replaced more then once and it was not dependable at all. After the first winter everything was replaced and I was told to burn pellets as it wouldn't burn corn. At that point I knew we were going to part ways since I bought a multifuel stove and this wouldn't work. I put a for sale add and as luck would have it a fellow answered right away and he wanted to burn pellets in it so it went down the road and I bought two new Bixbys with the money I got for the AE. No warranty but figuring I got two new stoves that the dealers were getting close to 4,000 each I figured I wouldn't need to buy parts and I would go that way. Turns out that fellow used it for 3 years burning pellets with no problems. I like that heavy cast iron waffle board they use to capture the heat but I had 3 break the first year. There also was a update on the thermostat where you could get more heat out of it plus it had settings for burning sunflowers, corn, and I think different types of pellets. You can also get newer igniters that are supposed to last longer. The pot can build up with crud so it will not empty.
I think they fixed the problems but they pushed it out the door way to fast before any bugs were detected.
If you buy one I have a hopper extension made that doubles the hopper capacity.

I had the E2 installed this week and will post pics up soon. She's a beauty!!

The auto clean takes 15 to 20 min to complete. This is the time the last pellet drops to the time a new fire arises. During this time the stove continues to run the distributor blower which blows hot air. The thermocouple must read 500 degrees Fahrenheit or less to dump the pot, therefore there is plenty of residual heat. Of course it isn't as hot as when running.

The issues you indicated were true of the initial models of the AE, circa 2006. My inlaws and I both own an AE. Their ignitor quit on them after 5 seasons. New ignitors are $35.

There are just as many tuning options on a MVAE as an average electronic stove. You can control the feed rate, distributor blower speed, has a 7 day 4 stage programmable thermostat and change air fuel ratios to suit your fuel needs.

As far as I know, the last board rev is current as of 2011.

The auto clean takes 15 to 20 min to complete. This is the time the last pellet drops to the time a new fire arises. During this time the stove continues to run the distributor blower which blows hot air. The thermocouple must read 500 degrees Fahrenheit or less to dump the pot, therefore there is plenty of residual heat. Of course it isn't as hot as when running.

The issues you indicated were true of the initial models of the AE, circa 2006. My inlaws and I both own an AE. Their ignitor quit on them after 5 seasons. New ignitors are $35.

There are just as many tuning options on a MVAE as an average electronic stove. You can control the feed rate, distributor blower speed, has a 7 day 4 stage programmable thermostat and change air fuel ratios to suit your fuel needs.

As far as I know, the last board rev is current as of 2011.

Even though I would have preferred the wireless remote to the wall mounted wired one, I liked the features of the AE and decided
to stick with my original instinct.
It is being installed in a few weeks.
Can't wait to get it fired up.
(Also ordered 2 tons Barefoot pellets)

Just had my Mt Vernon installed. Now I just need some cold weather! image.jpgimage.jpg

Looks great. Cold weather isn't to far off I am afraid.

Looks great! Fired mine up a few times this week to take the chill out of the air.

Thanks.
I know it really isn't cold enough for a true test, but this thing is throwing off a lot of heat.....and it is very quiet.

I have one of the original 2006 AE's. I replaced parts with upgrades when they came out, but never had any issues. One of the biggest problems back then was they put it on the market too soon, and poor dealers that didn't want to mess with keeping up with updates. The newer igniter they came out with is for pellets only. As far as I know they still haven't taken care of igniters burning out too soon. Only thing they need to do is lower the amount of time the auger is on. 26 minutes is way too long on corn setting. kap

The AE has to cool off and shut down to dump the pot. Then it has to add pellets or corn and relight. Takes time to build up heat again. it also has a small ash container. They also are known for igniter failure. The owner can't do very much to fine tune it other then the thermostat.
A bit overstated.
My MVAE is the sole source of heat for the entire first floor of my house (1200 sq ft in Connecticut) and I never have noticed a drop in room temperature during clean cycles. The stove puts out a high volume of air at over 300 degrees when at full burn and the air coming out is still quite hot by the end of the clean cycle.
As for the small ash box, I only clean it once a week, and I'm burning two + bags a day during the peak heating season.
When it comes to tuning the stove; I can control auto or manual flame height, convection volume, temperature, temperature setback, fuel type(hardwood, softwood and corn settings) and rich air (high altitude).
And I dont, have to screw with damper settings. Why would I want to tinker with my stove any more than I would want to tinker with my oil boiler? It works well and all I have to do is decide what I want it to do.
I have to admit that the first igniter failed after two months. It was replaced by the dealer under warrantee and the second is still going strong three years later.
Every stove has strengths and weaknesses and every new design is going to have startup issues. The MVAE's strengths far outweigh the weaknesses and the startup issues are in the far distant past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.