MT vernon non AE acting strange

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Hearth Supporter
Jun 25, 2009
upstate NY 12025
My Quad I s acting strange. It will work fine for a probaly 10 runs then i find the call light on and no pellets in the pot. so I hit reset and everthing runs but the auger .so I unplug it then back in and I hear the auger kick on and it runs fine again. I currently have the vac switch jumped out and it was good for about 4 days and I just come home and it has done it again.
the stove is clean probaly dont have more than 1/2 a ton of pellets through it this season. I hope one of you guys has had this issue. I am fearing it might be the control box god I hope not. Maybe a bad capicator for the auger motor in the wiring harness.

what setting are you running on when this happens could be the TC not staying hot enough

It is on high I have never caugh it in the act. just a cold dead stove. When I hit reset the you dont hear the auger kick on. unplug it and it starts right back up. I shut it down today and pulled the control box out and put it back in it went in harder than coming out I am wondering if it was loose. I was wondering if i have a bad tc i am going to try this and see how it goes.

Also check your thermocouple cover and make sure it is not chipped, crakced or plain broken and that the thermocouple is seated firmly in it resting all the way inside touching the end. Could be a partial blockage of the vacuum tube going to the vacuum switch too, blocked enough that sometimes it trips the sensor.

If it only feeds after you unplug it, then it is probably the control box. When you unplug the stove you reset the board. When you hit reset, you reset the thermostat. Srv7000-206 is the part # and is on Ebay. Intermittent problems are the hardest to find but this would be my best guess.

It appears that it might have been the t stat. I walked buy and i could hear the contact opening and closing on the stove the orignal t stat that came with it. I swapped it out with another lux I had just for a spare, It has been running since sunday with no issues so far. what would be a good programmable t stat to buy for it at homedepot? I am kind of holding off on the control board for now but what up dates did they make to it? I unplugged the stove and pulled the control box out it came out real easy but when I put it back in I really had to push it in. Do they over time wiggle them selves free. I have been using it for 6 seasons now and this is the first time I ever touched the control box.

bkfc255 said:
It appears that it might have been the t stat. I walked buy and i could hear the contact opening and closing on the stove the orignal t stat that came with it. I swapped it out with another lux I had just for a spare, It has been running since sunday with no issues so far. what would be a good programmable t stat to buy for it at homedepot? I am kind of holding off on the control board for now but what up dates did they make to it? I unplugged the stove and pulled the control box out it came out real easy but when I put it back in I really had to push it in. Do they over time wiggle them selves free. I have been using it for 6 seasons now and this is the first time I ever touched the control box.

I agree and would not change the board as long as everything seems to be working properly. The only updates are timing of fuel on start up and and very minor adjustments. No need to change for that reason. Boards can loosen up over time. You have fan vibration etc that can cause that. It should be in there pretty tight. As far as a programmable, it just has to have batteries for memory and be for a standard 24v system. Most will work.

Thank you I will keep you posted.

Well it has been awhile but the stove is back to its old tricks. the tstat calls for heat the combustion blower kicks on and no auger dropping pellets i hit the reset and no pellets drop. I unplug it and it starts up perfect. i did jumper out the vac switch just to see if that was the issue apparently not problem. I have pulled the control box and reseated it and still does it from time to time. i did change the batteries in the tstat to that seem to help, but it is doing it again. i replaced the tstat last night and woke up to a cold stove again. i am lost as to what is left to trouble shoot.

You should check to make sure your augar is going in the correct direction when the stove stops working. I seem to remember that these stoves had a issue with the augar running in reverse some times. I also remember that a capacitor that is in the wiring harness for the augar goes bad and will allow the augar to start in reverse off and on. Could be hard to catch but that would be my guess since you have long times with the stove operating correctly.

Do a search on this forum and you will come up with a bunch of reports of this happening and the repairs to get it back working. There was one very recently. Quad is making you buy the whole harness now instead of just replacing the capacitor but someone just posted that they replaced their capacitor and what the part number was. I believe it needs to be soldered into place so that could be a issue for you.

Thanks. I am looking for that post i havent found it yet. I guess it's time to give it another good cleaning again and once over maybe i missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.