1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mt.Vernon QuadraFire: Where to put it!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Secret_Sam, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Secret_Sam

Secret_Sam New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I'm seriously considering getting the Mt.Vernon Quadrafire. My issue is placement of this stove. I live in a 1600 sf split level home, The bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and living room are all located upstairs. Downstairs i have another living room with a average size wood stove in it. If I place the the Mt.Vernon upstairs in the living room I feel like its heating capacity will be wasted because it can heat so much more living space. On the other hand If I place it downstairs where the wood stove is now I am afraid It wont heat the upstairs properly where i spend most of my time. Vents and blowers are an option if I place it downstairs since i have a drop ceiling. Ideally I would like it placed downstairs if I thought it would heat my entire house evenly. placing it upsatirs in the living room would be fine because it just looks so good, but a stove with this heating capacity i feel should be heating a much larger area than 800 sf, your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Michael

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kpereyra

kpereyra New Member

Loc:
    Fairfield County, CT
    I'd say upstairs since you have a stove downstairs that can be used. You may want to consider a smaller stove like the Castile. The Mt vernon may be to much for just upstairs. Paying 5K to heat half the house may not be worth it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.