MTD Wood Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I was looking for a second wood splitter I could leave up in the woods for the winter so I could cut and split up top. Found a MTD H/V either 21 or 25 ton(have to check) for 700.00, I also will check to see if it was on the recall list.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10062.html

What are your thoughts on the MTD if everything checks out.

Zap

If it has a vertical shaft engine, the pump hangs pretty low for hauling into the ruff and the oil is a PITA to drain. Mine also has no throttle control so it's WOT from the get go. Makes me leery about starting it in really cold weather.

Thanks for the info Getfa, maybe I'll save some money and just start swinging the maul.

Zap

you sound like your in the same situiation as I am. My woodlot is up above and behind my house. I have to use a seasonal trail to get up there wit hthe atv. Typically I cant with snow but this year I can which is nice. I thik i could even pull the splitter up there but I am not ready for that yet. Still bucking and hauling to the pile

Adirondackwoodburner said:
you sound like your in the same situiation as I am. My woodlot is up above and behind my house. I have to use a seasonal trail to get up there wit hthe atv. Typically I cant with snow but this year I can which is nice. I thik i could even pull the splitter up there but I am not ready for that yet. Still bucking and hauling to the pile

Part of the woodlots up there, the splitter I have weighs 582 pounds so getting up the hill takes all the Rhino has. Thats wy I want the second splitter.

Zap

yamaha Rhino.. I like those and would love to ahve one. what year?

yamaha Rhino.. I like those and would love to ahve one. what year?

Bought in the spring of 2008, the best thing about it was my wife wanted it. I added the chainsaws,wood splitter and a couple of trailers for working in the woods.

For us the Rhino has been a good machine and glad we bought it.

zap

I bet. I was also looking at the kawasaki Mules. They definatly are not as sporty as the Rhino but are good workhorses, the one reason why I like them is that they offer a bench seat for 3 adults

I bet. I was also looking at the kawasaki Mules. They definatly are not as sporty as the Rhino but are good workhorses, the one reason why I like them is that they offer a bench seat for 3 adults

One of the things my wife liked about the Rhino was the bucket seats, just the two of us. Kawasaki makes a great product, hard to go wrong.

zap

yeha, well there are 4 of us, was actually thinking about the 2 bench seat Mule!

Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly happy with mine but then I don't use it in Winter and don't take it into the rough. Come to think of it, mine doesn't have a gas shutoff either. If you tow these any distance the gas will slosh in the carb and flood if it can't be shut off.

zapny said:

Part of the woodlots up there, the splitter I have weighs 582 pounds so getting up the hill takes all the Rhino has. Thats wy I want the second splitter.

Zap

Could you put a small trailer on the Rhino, and just haul back rounds to your splitter?
Sounds like you have a pretty big woodlot...just thinking that maybe you could go another route vs getting another splitter....would hate to leave a decent piece of machinery out the the woods.
Good luck!

I jsut haul my splitter up, split and stack wood and haul it back down to my garage

Status
Not open for further replies.