1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mulberry

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by pistonslap, Nov 23, 2012.

1. pistonslap

pistonslap Burning Hunk

Loc:
    southwestern Pa.
    Has anybody burned mulberry? I got a medium size mulberry that's been down for 2 yrs. from a yard near where I work. I split it 3 mos. ago and it was dry as a bone. It doesn't burn very well or throw a lot of heat. I've had to throw locust in with it to keep the stove up to temp. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me? It's hard to turn down free wood but I guess I'll pass on it next time.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I sounds like the Mulberry isn't as dry as you think it is. Mulberry is very dense, high BTU wood, and should burn very well if it is dry.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. Maple man

Maple man Burning Hunk

Loc:
    cairo ny in the catskill mtns
    i used 2 cords of mulberry last year it put out good heat sounds like yours might not have been seasond long enough.
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Have been burning it off & on for 30 years.Burning a few small chunks right now infact.Climbed up 20 ft this morning & trimmed most of the long dead from the big old tree in back yard.Most hanging over neighbors yard along my fence.

Great stuff,very similar to Red/Black Oak in density & heat value,not quite as good as White Oak however.Good coals.

Normally I get a little every year,quite plentiful in the Midwest & most areas east & south of me.Dries in 12-18 months,can be stubborn splitting when its in its usual crooked and/or knotty appearance.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Mullberry is some great BTU firewood , very dense like others have said. its worth getting ;)
  6. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Did you test it with a moisture meter or just going by looks? Looks can be decieving, I found that out after I bought a MM.
  7. geoxman

geoxman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    STL City
    Mulberry is one of my most favorite woods to burn. It burns hot and seasons quick, it is a cousin to Hedge and sparks just like it as well. Happy burning
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Mulberry is Sweeet fire wood....Only thing I dont like is it takes a little longer to bust a cord.
  9. blwncrewchief

blwncrewchief Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern, IN
    Mulberry as stated above is very good firewood. Real close to locust as far as burning and get it any chance I can. If you are having trouble getting enough heat with mulberry something is wrong with the wood. Mulberry is one of the few woods I will go out of my way to get. Out of the wood around here my desired premium list from top to bottom would be: locust - osage orange (hedge) - mulberry - hickory - sugar maple - oak.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. pistonslap

pistonslap Burning Hunk

Loc:
    southwestern Pa.
    It was on the ground for a couple of years until I split and stacked it. It sure seemed dry, but I must be wrong. Oh well, I'll save the rest til next year. And it was tough to split. Thanks.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Pistonslap, being on the ground is the key to why it does not burn well. Now you have it stacked and off the ground, leave it a year and then burn it.
  12. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    if that mulberry isnt cooking you out of the house then it isnt ready.... That stuff burns really hot
    try it next year, I bet it'll be great then...
    chuck
  13. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    it is definately harder to split when dry...