Greenmountain 60 Smoke Smell from Rear Maintenence Panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bmikeb

Nov 15, 2022
Asheville NC
We have a GM60 and it usually does alright but sometimes when turning it down low it does smell a bit smoky.

I did some more sniffing and found the smell is really strong at the rear access panel (burns the nose).

It's pretty consistent but def. stronger when turned down low with the firebox's temp at less than 1/2 and wood that's not down to the coals.

My wood is <20% and draft is strong.

I was wondering if anyone else here has had an issue with this panel. I did a search but found nothing.

Run loads at reduced "low" set points until you find the setting that doesn't stink.
My experience with Cat stoves is that when set to low they reek.
Worth playing with a few loads. My opinion.
Good luck

Run loads at reduced "low" set points until you find the setting that doesn't stink.
My experience with Cat stoves is that when set to low they reek.
Worth playing with a few loads. My opinion.
Good luck
I have been playing all season and work around it but, is there a reason why? There's seems to be significant negative pressure in the firebox (open the air intake and air rushes in immediately) so it just doesn't make sense to me.

I think this is a stove specific issue as my cat stove (same brand as semipro) does not stink before or after a cat stall (i.e. running it low and too low).