Multimeter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
I've got a multimeter that I use now and then, mainly for checking to see if an outlet is hooked up or to troubleshoot a trailer wiring issue.

After reading the thread about using a multimeter to measure moisture content in wood I thought I'd try that out, but my meter doesn't measure high enough resistance, so I was thinking of getting a new one. In the store I saw some sold under the Ideal brand.

In addition to having the correct range for moisture content (need to go to at least 4 M ohm), they have temperature probes.

There are two different versions, the main difference seems to be the probe. The one is just in a braided sleeve with a little ball on the end, while the other has a plastic handle and a metal rod. The one costs $21 while the other is $50. Either one is good for well over 1000F.

So my questions are:

1) has anyone used one of these temperature probes in the context of a wood stove?

and

2) is there a functional difference between using the two probe designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.