must be doing something right

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perry

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2008
auburn hills, michigan
after 3 yrs of using my englander 13nc i must have the right combination of wood and experience this year. i have not had to clean my glass door yet. started burning in October and inside of stove is staying clean also. no chimney cleaning either but i think ill do it this week. cap is looking poretty black up there.
been burning cherry logs i cut/split last year. just about used up the cherry and starting to mix in this years ash splits. have some oak but still seems to have a little moisture.
just wanted to say, im haveing a good burning season this year ... :coolsmile:

Sounds like you are getting everything dialed in, Perry. Your stack deserves and inspection if your cap is getting black. You can determine the need for a sweep once you take a good look at it.

A year drying of cherry works really well. Not sure about the ash if it has just been cut unless it was dead. If it was cut last winter it will be good for sure. Glad you are having no problems.

Glad things are going good for you.

Backwoods Savege how long does it take for Hickory to season? Also i have found out that red oak is a very tough wood to try to season it takes a lot longer.

It has been a long time since we've had any hickory to burn! Lucky you. We always gave it a year minimum. Two years is better. It is really tight wood like oak but oak does take longer than hickory. Red oak around here does not get put into the stove until it has had 3 years to dry. I hope this helps Corey.

Backwoods Savage said:
It has been a long time since we've had any hickory to burn! Lucky you. We always gave it a year minimum. Two years is better. It is really tight wood like oak but oak does take longer than hickory. Red oak around here does not get put into the stove until it has had 3 years to dry. I hope this helps Corey.

Thank you.

Backwoods Savage said:
A year drying of cherry works really well. Not sure about the ash if it has just been cut unless it was dead. If it was cut last winter it will be good for sure. Glad you are having no problems.
Backwoods, I have found Green Ash dries as fast as cherry, White Ash not as quick but still quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.