1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

muti fuel pellet stoves

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Maggie, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Loc:
    Northern California
    I can use some help. My husband and I moved into a house which has a pellet stove. If we have a power outage - we will have no heat. Does anyone know of a pellet stove which can burn firewood in addition to pellets. My husband thinks we should hook a car or marine battery up for additional power if power goes out. Also, with the price of pellets, we have quite a bit of wood around here that we could burn in addition to pellets. I'm wondering if I can get some advice. Thank you.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    All of the pellet stoves require power so the type of fuel has little to do with your lack of electric problem.

Buy a small generator and/or set up a battery bank plus inverter to power the stove.

Many folks have both a wood stove and a pellet stove so that they can burn whichever fuel they find easier/cheaper at the time. I like that concept even more than a generator.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Yes, maggie, it is one or the other - wood or pellet.

There are many pellet stoves which are DC or set up for battery. Check models from Magnum and Thelin......
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    OH, as far as battery backup for the existing unit, you can get a powerful computer UPS if you want a couple hours - or an inverter and marine battery for perhaps more....depends on the wattage of the stove.

Here is an inverter made for that:
    http://www.stovesentry.com/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.