MV AE insert question but this could be a general question as well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2013
Maine
I am still new to the pellet stove world but I have to say I am loving it! My oil furnace only comes on to heat my water or when we were out of town for a couple days.

I have done my regular cleanings weekly and just today cleaned by baffle (right? I think thats what it is called).

When I empty my ash pan I am usually surprised at how little is in there since I am burning about 1.5 bags/day. My question is really about fly ash - there seems to be more of that than what is in the ash pan. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to minimize it?

I have my MVAE set at heat output 3 and flame level at 0.

Any help (with an explanation) would be appreciated.

This one is a douzy! Never have I seen someone on here ask why they have so little ash. :)

With the MVAE most of the ash ends up on the "floor" with the fire pot, rather than the ash pan. The clinkers are typically what are in your ash pan, and of course some of it just flies around until it gets caught somewhere. This is why you take the baffle off (and clean the venting every ton).

If you want a more technical answer, assuming an ash content of 0.5% (by weight - typical for premium brands), you should expect under 0.2 lbs of ash per bag (theoretically). Keep in mind this doesnt all end up on the fire pot floor and ash pan.

**edit - fixed my math

Last edited:
Okay that actually makes sense. There is more in the "floor" than the actual ash pan but it's good to hear that what I am experiencing is common.

This one is a douzy! Never have I seen someone on here ask why they have so little ash. :)

With the MVAE most of the ash ends up on the "floor" with the fire pot, rather than the ash pan. The clinkers are typically what are in your ash pan, and of course some of it just flies around until it gets caught somewhere. This is why you take the baffle off (and clean the venting every ton).

If you want a more technical answer, assuming an ash content of 0.5% (by weight - typical for premium brands), you should expect under 2 lbs of ash per bag (theoretically). Keep in mind this doesnt all end up on the fire pot floor and ash pan.
Haha, I hope she's not getting 2 lbs! Missing decimal alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.