MWP Long Pellet Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaudet71

Nov 6, 2011
McFalls, ME
I have now burned 20 bags or so of the MWP hardwood pellets. I have just found one 2 1/2†long. There are many near 2†and several over. The little over 1 1/2†long ones seem short now.

Earlier I posted that with my first bag, bridging occurred, and my stove went out in the middle of the night. I have not had that happen again even though I am finding many long ones. Otherwise I do like the pellets and would probably buy again. I do notice the glass gets much dirtier than the eight tons of Clean Energy ones I just finished. And the ashes seem to clump together some too.

But, for the price, they burn warm enough.

Attachments

• Long Pellet 5 (Medium).jpg
    Long Pellet 5 (Medium).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 445
I've burnt around 20 bags also..never had any this long..????....the ones I have are the mixed ..60/40....I think you have the same ones...I know they also make a softwood pellet..a good pellet..heat is good and ash is low!!

I've only owned two brands of stoves....Whitfield and Harman but know many people that have other brands. It seems to me Harman stoves are more succeptable to bridging than other brands. I've never had bridging issues with my Whitfields but have had several with my Harmans. I noticed you have a Harman also.

It would be interesting to see what brand of stoves other people own whom have had bridging problems.

I have 6 tons, well 5 tons now, of MWP. I'm very satisfied. There are some long ones sure, but the Harmons crunch them right up. Yum Yum!

One thing I did notice is there is almost no fines/sawdust. And the price, I liked.

Like my friend in Maine says, the glass gets dirty quickly, but who cares. It puts out plenty of heat. I'll look for them next year.

Tom C.

silverfox103 said:
I have 6 tons, well 5 tons now, of MWP. I'm very satisfied. There are some long ones sure, but the Harmons crunch them right up. Yum Yum!

One thing I did notice is there is almost no fines/sawdust. And the price, I liked.

Like my friend in Maine says, the glass gets dirty quickly, but who cares. It puts out plenty of heat. I'll look for them next year.

Tom C.

Just finished burning 4 bags of these, and I like them. Low dust, good heat. I like them. Agree on the dirty glass......no big deal.

interesting. i've burned 20 or so bags of these so far. i find them to be very consistently short.
i think i've opened three bags from the new shipment. (got a ton up here early and then 4 from sib) and they are the same as far as i can see.

i'll update here too as i burn more of the new load.
maybe someone pulled a lever when they should have pushed a button the day your batch got made.
glad you're not getting jams now though.

i do notice that ash clumping with what drops into the drawer.
i have no idea what that means.

and they seem low fines. i don't have personal experience with any other pellets though. so it's hard to say.
after several bags loaded on each other in the hopper, i can see saw dust accumulated among the pellets in the lower part of the hopper.
but on a bag by bag basis, it's hard to see much at all.

Have burned about 1/2 ton so far and no long pellets. So far I like what I see. I do get dirty glass along the top half but not an issue with me. Easy to clean up.

I also have burned about 1/2 a ton so far and I have found some LOOOONG ones. I've had several upper auger jams from the long ones clogging the drop tube between the augers.

I called MWP directly and have been speaking with a gentlemen there. He came out to my house and picked up some long samples I pulled out and took a bag with him to bring back to the mill. It is not every bag, some bags are fine...others are full of pencils. I have started throwing the bags against the cement floor in the basement a few times to break them up before I bring them upstairs. That usually gets rid of almost all the long ones, but created some more dust. But, my stove doesn't have a problem with dust, so it's a worthy sacrifice.

I haven't spoken with them since he picked up the bag, I have been busy starting a new job...I need to give him a call soon and see what they think.

Not sure if I would buy these again. It depends how the rest of the season goes.

I burned 4 bags, some long ones. one thing I did notice was a very soft pellet, dirty glass.
They did burn good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.