My 29,2012 - N.E. Portland Oregon Overheated Wood Pellet Stove Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Fire in Attic? Is the pellet stove in the Attic too?

An overheated pellet stove pipe is being reported as the cause of an attic fire in a Northeast Portland home on Sunday. No one was injured in the blaze and fire damages are estimated to cost $65,000.

Overheated pellet stove pipe causes Northeast Portland attic fire
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/05/investigators_trying_to_determ_2.html

An overheated pellet stove pipe is being cited as the cause of a Sunday attic fire that damaged a two-story Northeast Portland home.
Firefighters responded to the blaze in the 10600 block of Northeast Morris Street at 9:16 p.m., and the residents were able to escape before fire trucks arrived, said Portland Fire Bureau spokesman Gabriel Watson.
Crews determined the fire began in the difficult-to-reach attic, requiring the removal of the entire second story ceiling so that water from hose lines could reach the flames.
Fire damages are estimated at $65,000.

Click pic to enlarge

Attachments

• OregonPelletStoveHouseFire.jpg
    OregonPelletStoveHouseFire.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 181
lemme take s shot at this one......creosote caught fire in the pellet pipe? Igniting nearby combustibles sited too closely to the pipe?

Hello

Maybe the venting pipe slipped down and set the roof on fire?

I'll go with the pellet vent became disconnected in the attic because the joints were not sealed and because the attic was hard to get to, no one ever made a visual inspection in there. More often the case.
X2

Oh brother, an easy one, the aliens escaped from area 51 and went down his venting, aliens are highly combustible and corrosive to metal. The pipe dissolved while the alien was burning torching the attic.

Oh brother, an easy one, the aliens escaped from area 51 and went down his venting, aliens are highly combustible and corrosive to metal. The pipe dissolved while the alien was burning torching the attic.
Smokey you are blowing some up our a$$e$, only the aliens from even numbered areas are combustible.:p So I was told.:cool:

Smokey you are blowing some up our a$$e$, only the aliens from even numbered areas are combustible.:p So I was told.:cool:

They renumbered the areas a couple of weeks ago starting at the other end it made all of the even numbered ones odd ....... >>>>>> Bear running away to hide >>>>>>

Reactions: gbreda
I have seen alot of installations that have no Breathing room around the pipe and it is a fire waiting to happen, Not saying that is the case here....

Hello

More info on this fire. The older couple in the news video stated "That is what happened when you are careful" "The fire started in the wall"
I sure that couple was very careful but not the pellet stove Installer! If the fire started in the wall then the installation may have had a pipe joint or leak in the wall. With the proper wall thru and no joints in the wall it is extremely unlikely this could ever happen!
NE Portland house fire cause by overheating pellet stove, investigators say

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/loca...se-by-overheating/6WMxER6UYUqnkeH3zZhBJA.cspx

PORTLAND, Ore. – Investigators have determined that a house fire in Northeast Portland Monday night was caused by an overheating pellet stove pipe.

The fire broke out sometime before 9:15 p.m. at 10621 NE Morris Street. Paul Corah, spokesperson for Portland Fire & Rescue, says arriving crews found a fire coming from the attic. The blaze was brought under control just after 10 p.m.

There were no reported injuries. Two residents home at the time escaped unharmed.

Damage to the home was estimated at $65,000.

-- KOIN Local 6 staff

They renumbered the areas a couple of weeks ago starting at the other end it made all of the even numbered ones odd ....... >>>>>> Bear running away to hide >>>>>>

ROFLMAO ;lol

Wow..... Season is just starting and we get this.........

Honestly, its a shame. Cleaning the stove and ensuring that all is well and up to snuff/code isnt hard (with the help of the Great folks here :))

Another reason that EVERY stove should come with this Site stamped on the Hopper Lid. Instructions for use should be.

1.) READ MANUAL at least 5 times.
2.) Fill hopper with pellets
3.) Read manual again and then again (at 7 times now)
4.) Plug into approved Surge Protector
5.) Go to Hearth.com before you do anything else :)
6.) Enjoy a long ajd fruitful life with your stove :)

Reactions: mepellet
Yo children,

The fire was back last season. Don is providing an update.

jtakeman a little slow on the uptake,

Aliens from the even number Areas got renumbered into odd numbered Areas making it that Aliens from odd numbered areas that are combustible.

Folks,

Here you have the case of the denizens of burn'em if you've got'em world responding to old threads. I understand they do that when they can't get their fire fix. It's a deep seated issue that the shrinks haven't been able to figure out yet.

Hello

Just wanted to mention again that they said the fire started in the wall. I know most people would not imagine this, but I have seen an installation with an adjustable pipe going through the wall with a joint in the middle of the wall! You may ask how this was done since the slip joint pipe has a larger diameter and actually will not fit thru a standard pellet pipe thimble. Like trying to put a regular gas pump in a car that takes unleaded. The nozzle does not fit the filler neck. Well the hole in the thimble was butchered so the slip joint would fit in and then gobs of silicon was used to seal it! However the slip joint in the wall was not sealed! Well fortunately we took that all out and used the proper pipes with no joint in the wall before there was a problem or fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.