My big moe, replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mlacasse

Nov 22, 2013
Maine
I have an all nighter big moe, its served me well for about 12 years. I have an 8" hart and cooley stainless chimney. I am considering replacing it with a newer stove to save wood. Is this reasonable? Will a newer epa approved stove really burn that much less wood? My all nighter heats the bejeesus out of my house, but will chew up couple arm loads of wood every day.

My guess is that your Moe is about 40% efficient, all told.
A newer stove will be over 60% efficient, so you will burn 1/3 less wood for the same heat. You will also have a cleaner chimney and less smell outside, etc.

You'll still burn a couple armloads each day, but maybe they won't weigh as much.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We used to burn in an old Ashley. Bought the Woodstock Fireview and cut our wood needs in half.

One thing you should definitely understand though. You can not burn the new stoves like the old stoves. That is, you can't cut wood now and burn it this year. Most wood needs a year after being split and stacked out in the wind. Some take longer, like oak. We give oak 3 years to dry after being split and stacked. The difference in how the stove performs and how much heat you get from dry wood is tremendous.

So to fully answer your question, I think you would be happy because it does sound as if you are looking to lessen your work load. That happens to many of us as we age a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.