1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My biggest scrounge so far.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by n3pro, Nov 17, 2012.

1. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    A friend of my wife called last week saying he was taking down a tree and asked if I would be interested in the wood. D'uh I said where and when. I stopped by to have a look. uploadfromtaptalk1353200862515.jpg I saw a slight twist uploadfromtaptalk1353200915176.jpg so I knew it was a good idea to rent a log splitter, glad I did. Some parts of the trunk were a bear even with a hydrolytic splitter. Friday truck is full more splitting and quite a pile to go yet. uploadfromtaptalk1353201127823.jpg As the experts taught me on here I split vertically uploadfromtaptalk1353201227574.jpg . I think it is walnut but not sure. No leaves.

Three full loads, one Friday and two today and still have a small load left. I didn't think it looked that big but sure got more than I expected. I have a lot to split as and stack yet, but did all the large twisted stuff I knew I couldn't split by hand.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

n3pro, nice scrounge. That should make for some nic btu's.

Nice work.
    Zap
  3. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

Nice. I don't think that is walnut though. Bark looks to smooth. Not sure what it is though but I would be glad to have. Good job.
  4. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    I'm a noobie as far as tree identification so I don't know. Walnut is a popular tree in that area.