1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My biggest scrounge so far.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by n3pro, Nov 17, 2012.

1. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    A friend of my wife called last week saying he was taking down a tree and asked if I would be interested in the wood. D'uh I said where and when. I stopped by to have a look. uploadfromtaptalk1353200862515.jpg I saw a slight twist uploadfromtaptalk1353200915176.jpg so I knew it was a good idea to rent a log splitter, glad I did. Some parts of the trunk were a bear even with a hydrolytic splitter. Friday truck is full more splitting and quite a pile to go yet. uploadfromtaptalk1353201127823.jpg As the experts taught me on here I split vertically uploadfromtaptalk1353201227574.jpg . I think it is walnut but not sure. No leaves.

Three full loads, one Friday and two today and still have a small load left. I didn't think it looked that big but sure got more than I expected. I have a lot to split as and stack yet, but did all the large twisted stuff I knew I couldn't split by hand.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

n3pro, nice scrounge. That should make for some nic btu's.

Nice work.
    Zap
  3. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

Nice. I don't think that is walnut though. Bark looks to smooth. Not sure what it is though but I would be glad to have. Good job.
  4. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    I'm a noobie as far as tree identification so I don't know. Walnut is a popular tree in that area.