My dark-chocolate Fireview is ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
Got photos a couple days ago from Lorin Day at Woodstock (who, by the way, has the patience of a saint). I went with a custom color called leather, but I think it should be called dark chocolate. I'm thrilled with my choice and the appearance of the stove in general. Can't wait till it comes. And, as you can see, I've already prepared a home for it. All that remains is the copper heat shield.

Attachments

• FV-Leather 1.jpg
    FV-Leather 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 721
  • FV-Leather 3.jpg
    FV-Leather 3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 675
  • DreessenHearth093009.JPG
    DreessenHearth093009.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 728
I hope that chocolate doesn't melt!

Congratulations. You are going to be VERY happy!

wendell said:
I hope that chocolate doesn't melt!

Congratulations. You are going to be VERY happy!

That would be tragic. All that money and effort...

Looks nice, you should consider buying some of that same soapstone to cover the marble on the fireplace surround.

Leather? Never heard of that color, it's going to look great on that hearth.

Hmmm . . . dark chocolate and it even comes in a hard "candy" coating . . . sharp looking stove and hearth.

Wet1 said:
Looks nice, you should consider buying some of that same soapstone to cover the marble on the fireplace surround.

I've wanted to replace that marble since we bought the house. It never seemed right to me, but I'm almost certain it's original. Trouble is my wife thinks it's ridiculous to tear out perfectly good original marble. I would like to replace it with slate, but... sometimes you have to compromise a little.

Todd said:
Leather? Never heard of that color, it's going to look great on that hearth.

Yeah, even when they sent me a custom color palette, leather was not among the colors. They had a "rich brown metallic," which I liked, but it still seemed a little too light and grayish. I wanted something like oil-rubbed bronze. So, then they let me in on the "leather" option, which apparently is on some super-secret custom color palette that they only tell about of you beg and plead. Took a little extra time because they didn't have any of the paint in house, but it was worth it. This color is just what I wanted.

Beautiful stove. You'll be a happy camper when you get that installed. Congratulations.

Once you install that and get a good look at the total 'picture' you won't even think about replacing the marble. That is going to be a grogeous set up. Nice choice.

I think it will look pretty good with the marble too:

modifiedhearth.jpg

edit: sorry for the shoddy quality, all I've got at the moment is MS paint.

Looks like a good match. Time to fire her up!

It's hard to see rear clearances from the picture. Are the minimums being observed? Fireview requires "you must maintain a 30” clearance to an unprotected wood mantle." and I believe with the heatshield it requires 18" behind to the woodwork.

Todd said:
Looks like a good match. Time to fire her up!

BeGreen said:
It's hard to see rear clearances from the picture. Are the minimums being observed? Fireview requires "you must maintain a 30” clearance to an unprotected wood mantle." and I believe with the heatshield it requires 18" behind to the woodwork.

Please note that this is a modified pic that I made by copying the factory pic and placing it on his hearth with mspaint to give the OP feel for what the final setup may look like, so as to alleviate concerns of the marble not matching. I don't know the sizes of his FP opening or hearth, or the exact dimensions of the fireview, so I estimated the sizes and this doesn't match what the exact placement or even the scale will be when he actually gets his stove from the factory. Rest assured that this photo does not present any fire hazard or code violation.

Perhpas I did a better job of editing the photo than I thought? :coolhmm:

LOL :) That's what I get for rushing through the posts. Too many per day now to keep up with.

Still good things to watch out for when he installs near that woodwork and mantle.

karri0n said:
I think it will look pretty good with the marble too:

modifiedhearth.jpg

edit: sorry for the shoddy quality, all I've got at the moment is MS paint.

Hilarious! I was so tempted to do that myself, but I was afraid I would waste too many hours trying to get it to look right since I have the actual Photoshop. Thanks, though, Karrion. I've been trying to visualize it ever since I completed the hearthpad; this helps.

BeGreen said:
LOL :) That's what I get for rushing through the posts. Too many per day now to keep up with.

Still good things to watch out for when he installs near that woodwork and mantle.

Not to worry, BeGreen. I have studied Woodstock's clearances and had several discussions with them. Just finished the heat shield for the face trim today. All that remains is to bolt it in place. The stove will sit slightly further out than the front edge of the mantel, so I'll be safe there. I thought of making another small shield to protect the front edge of the mantel, but according to the person I spoke with, the 30 inches only applies if you can hang a plumb bob from the mantel and hit the stove.

I'll post a picture with the heat shield when it's up. Maybe Karrion can work his magic again ; )

By the way, my wife, who is often very negative on internet socializing, has been really impressed with the community amongst the hearth.com regulars. And she's right, it's pretty incredible the way all these people from all over the country help, advise, encourage and support one another. Kinda restores one's faith in humanity.

She also thought we should plan a gathering so we could all meet in person. Would be cool, wouldn't it? We could pick someplace central to all the members... like, say, the middle of Illinois.

dreezon said:
By the way, my wife, who is often very negative on internet socializing, has been really impressed with the community amongst the hearth.com regulars. And she's right, it's pretty incredible the way all these people from all over the country help, advise, encourage and support one another. Kinda restores one's faith in humanity.

She also thought we should plan a gathering so we could all meet in person. Would be cool, wouldn't it? We could pick someplace central to all the members... like, say, the middle of Illinois.

I'd be up for a meet so long as you chose a time with warm, nice weather %-P

pen

the way everyone is talking about the forum and the people and meeting up somewhere, this reminds me of when i was a teen i was using the cb and we would every once and a while have a eyeball. we would all get together for meet and greet.

dreezon said:
BeGreen said:

Not to worry, BeGreen. I have studied Woodstock's clearances and had several discussions with them. Just finished the heat shield for the face trim today. All that remains is to bolt it in place. The stove will sit slightly further out than the front edge of the mantel, so I'll be safe there. I thought of making another small shield to protect the front edge of the mantel, but according to the person I spoke with, the 30 inches only applies if you can hang a plumb bob from the mantel and hit the stove.

I'll post a picture with the heat shield when it's up. Maybe Karrion can work his magic again ; )

Sounds good. We want you to be safe, warm and happy for many years to come.

And now, for the heat shield. I'm planning to age it using some liver of sulphur.

Attachments

• DSC01203.JPG
    DSC01203.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC01206.JPG
    DSC01206.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 339
Very pretty install of another handsome Woodstock stove. Personally, I don't care for the marble, either, but I understand your wife's reticence to rip out something that is perfectly OK right now. I am a proponent of waiting and studying and thinking about options before plungeing right in and "doing something". I like to weigh my options and think about things before making a move that is potentially expensive as well as messy. ;)

I love the internet and am a regular contributor to several forums, most of which are directly linked to my trade or leisure activities. I've met many of my "virtual" friends over the years and have found nearly every one of them as genuine as their "on line" personas would indicate. My husband doesn't "get it" at all, but he doesn't know how to type properly so the medium is not an easy one for his participation. As I explain it to him: it's just "pen pals" but faster!

dreezon said:

We'll see if she still feels this way when she tries to get you to go to bed and you tell her you can't since a member just posted a question and you know the answer . . . or you just read a post from someone who thinks soapstone stoves are ugly and you are compelled to defend the honor of your Fireview! ;)

So we'll see just how your wife really feels about hearth.com once you become truly addicted to this site . . . ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.