My Englander 55-SHP10L is not very warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blarsom

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2010
Northern MN
I setup a Summerheat 55-SHP10L (purchased spring 2009) this winter and it barely heats my 20 x 25 garage.
I have tried different hardwood pellets and even with the setting both a 9, the area around the
stove warms up about 15 degrees after 6-8 hours - the rest of the garage was cooler.
I have burned only about 5 - 40lb bags of pellets, and have cleaned it after each bad.
Any help would be great....

We need more Info:

What is the vent set-up?
What pellets are you using?
Is the garage insulated fully?

Was this a new stove, or used?

The stove was purchased new.

I have the stove hooked up for outside air, the vent is about 28" above the ground - in case of snow
The stove is connected to the exhaust with a "T", goes up 6ft, elbow, 1ft extension through the wall then the cap.

The garage is not insulated at this time, but the ceiling is enclosed.

The pellets I have tried are Valley Forrest Premium Wood Pellets and Harwood Premium Pellets.
When burning the VF pellets, the stove barely warmed up, the Harwood pellets are hotter.
The only heat I can feel from the blower is when my hand is with in a 1ft of the front of it and the exhaust pipe was not hot enough to burn when touch.

The plan was to use the garage this winter for building kitchen cabinets and start a remodel this spring, so this would be a temp solution with the stove
being move to my basement next fall. I had tried a 40,000 btu propane heater that warmed up the garage nicely, but I did like leaving a window open
to make sure there was fresh air.

Any help would be great.

Do you have the booklet for that stove handy what is the BTU rating?

It is very likely that there aren't enough BTUs and air movement capability to counter the air infiltration.

Air infiltration is frequently the largest single heat loss component in a lot of structures.

A tight envelope can make a lot of difference.

It's going to be tough with an un-insulated garage, especially if you have a concrete floor. I know from experience,and my garage is insulated, doors and windows too. Call Englander tech support and see if they can walk you through bumping up the heat mode, they did on my stove and it made all the difference. If you have the same model as the Englander 25 PDVC you can also do a search on this forum to see how to do it, although I would recommend calling tech support myself just to be safe. I have found mine works best by leaving it running on 1 or 2 heat setting when I'm not using the garage and bumping up the heat when I need to work (drink beer) in the garage, doesn't seem to burn much more pellets either.

aint gonna get it done , uninsulated garage is not gonna get heated by any pellet stove.(unless its in miami maybe) heat lost is far greater than heat generated, you need to insulate the space then the stove will heat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.