My first bore cut!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I think it went well. Feel free to critique it...
05988035.jpg

7109f399.jpg

b40cad57.jpg

add78864.jpg

99ed11a4.jpg

Looks good to me! One word of caution though, Its best to have a larger tree to use that technique on. It gives you a little margin for error so you don't accidently cut the strap or holding wood while doing the bore cut. The only time I find that cut necessary is felling a heavy leaner in the direction of the lean. Other than that I never use it.

mtcates said:
Looks good to me! One word of caution though, Its best to have a larger tree to use that technique on. It gives you a little margin for error so you don't accidently cut the strap or holding wood while doing the bore cut. The only time I find that cut necessary is felling a heavy leaner in the direction of the lean. Other than that I never use it.
Definitely agree. When you have the saw in there making the bore you have the tip dragging you in the direction of the top of your bar which on a small tree isn't good, cause you don't have much to work with.

This tree had a very nice lean in the direction of the fall, so I thought it would work well. If it had been close I'd have used the wedges in my pocket!

It looks really good to me (but I am not an expert). I like the large high degree angle face cut so the hinge won't be stressed as the tree is falling. The bore cut is at the appropriate height. I see the the other guys are saying about cutting the hold wood. I would start you bore cut is more away from the hinge and work up to it. I am always worried about the 2 pieces of hold wood fatiguing and failing because of a wind gust or something. All in all, it is an excellent to fell a tree that way.

I have a friend who only takes a sliver for the face cut because he has been doing that way for over 40 years. Of course the hinges are stressed and fail often.

Black Walnut.

I've always been too nervous to try a bore cut. I'm too worried about kickback, even though I've read a million times on HOW to do it, I know the theory behind it, and the way it should work, I just get nervous to actually try it....

Piston said:
I've always been too nervous to try a bore cut. I'm too worried about kickback, even though I've read a million times on HOW to do it, I know the theory behind it, and the way it should work, I just get nervous to actually try it....
Nothing wrong with that. If you aren't comfortable with it, then don't do it. There are other ways to bring down a tree!

The biggest key to safely get the tip into wood is to be at high RPMs when you do it.

And, for size reference, that bar is 20 inches.

So whats the purpose of this bore cut: now I am going to guess, If tree is leaning opposit way of notch, cut that bore and pull saw out drive wedges come around outside and finish cut, then drive more wedges if needed. Thats just a guess, am always willing to learn something new.

I have not done it cptoneleg, but the theory on a leaner is that it helps prevent a barber chair where the back of the tree snaps back, since the back cut is made last.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I have not done it cptoneleg, but the theory on a leaner is that it helps prevent a barber chair where the back of the tree snaps back, since the back cut is made last.
Yes, and on non-leaners it works like a normal cut except it's nice to have a trigger to the fell. With a normal cut you are just making the hinge smaller and smaller until it gives, sometimes leaving you to wonder when it will go. With this, you know it will go when you cut the holding wood or "trigger" on the back.

MarkinNC said:
I would start you bore cut is more away from the hinge and work up to it.
That's what I did, and another benefit to cutting this way is you can leave your saw idling there in the bore and look to the other side of the tree to look at the tip and make sure you have a nice even hinge. You even have the security of not really worrying about the tree settling back and pinching your saw or any other sort of kickback because of that back holding wood. Definitely think I'll be using in on more of the larger trees in the future.

No real criticisms, congrats.
I like the bore cut and will use it as often as possible. A handy tool for anyone dropping trees, don't forget your wedges just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.