My first Mt Vernon AE problem boy im having a bad night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
first i get 1 out of 2 vornado fans Dead on arrival now my stove acts up

Error message said check ash pan i just cleaned it yesterday so i know that wasnt the problem

So i walk up to the stove and see that the burnpot was 1/2 way thru the autoclean cycle, so it got stuck

I unplugged the stove plugged it back in to restart the autoclean and it started moving but got stuck again

third time it went thru the cycle fine and is now burning

I have noticed the screeching sound lately during autoclean but i have read here that its normal so i didnt pay it any mind

should this be getting lubed maybe ? i dunno looking for anything anyone has to offer also what is the proper way to adress this problem in the future?

Make sure there isn't any build up of hard ash on the pot floor making it hang up.

Also I use hi temp anti sieze on the a/c rails or aerosol graphite if I'm feeling lazy.

smoke show said:
Make sure there isn't any build up of hard ash on the pot floor making it hang up.

Also I use hi temp anti sieze on the a/c rails.

what do you do catch it while its open and apply the anti seize ?

what do you use to clean your burnpot ?

i dont even know what this is ? is the pointed part used to scrape the pot ? and poke thru the holes ? i dunno LOL

http://i42.tinypic.com/2sbu5ci.jpg

The bottom of the pot can get a hard build-up of carbon (all Quads are subject to this). Some pellets make it worse than others.

I have a flathead screwdriver and a longer chisel I use to bust it off of mine.

My stove has a manual clean-out, but the gap is probably about the same in the bottom of the pot. This carbon is prob holding it up.

Thats the Quad tool. You use it to pull the heat exchange cleaning rods (hole hooks around cleaning rod),l and also used to scrape the pot and clean holes. I dont use it. Junk in my opinion.

No heat exchanger rod to pull on an AE, dex.

All i use the tool for is unlatching the cams to remove the baffle.

Just keep the pot floor scraped clean of carbon and lube the rails with the ash pan removed.

If that don't work have a few shots of whiskey and we'll talk in the morning.

smoke show said:
No heat exchanger rod to pull on an AE, dex.

All i use the tool for is unlatching the cams to remove the baffle.

Just keep the pot floor scraped clean of carbon and lube the rails with the ash pan removed

i was just scratching my head thinking what heat exchanger rod lol

thanks for the replies

I just made a post about this too, glad to see I am not the only one. I have been using my dremel with a grinding wheel to clean the floor, some of my deposits are really hard to get off with just the chisel etc. This is the first time in 3 years I have had this problem.

what good is an Autoclean if it DONT clean lol my older Mt Vernon would burn forever and hardly any ash in the ash pan so i really dont get the need for this autoclean

oldmountvernon said:
what good is an Autoclean if it DONT clean lol my older Mt Vernon would burn forever and hardly any ash in the ash pan so i really dont get the need for this autoclean
Yea, it would probably be better if it was a manual clean floor like the older models. We end up spending the same amount of time with maintenance anyways.

It's the Quad magical all purpose tool.

It works on various pieces parts of Quad stoves now don't all you kiddies get jealous of Dexter's heat exchanger scraper just because your stove lacks such an advanced device.

oldmountvernon said:

Wanna go back and read some of my older posts on your threads??

Just ribbin ya... These guys will get you squared away. Smoke is a go to guy for the Vernon....

You'll get it figured out and say... Duh, I should have known...

The Vernon has no tubes (my duh moment) I knew that. They have a superior exchange system (so it reads), than standard tubes (similar to Harmans accordion). I guess I was referring to was my stove. But I still dont use it...

Hope you get her figured out. Thats a phenomenal stove. Just gotta give her some love. ;-P

I hate to say it OMV...But since you set the precedent in another thread, I have to do it!!! Should have bought an Enviro M55!!! ;-)

Eatonpcat said:
I hate to say it OMV...But since you set the precedent in another thread, I have to do it!!! Should have bought an Enviro M55!!! ;-)

You said it.... Not me.... ;-P

Eatonpcat said:

LOL i bet you been lurking in the shadows waiting for this moment! Ultimately this is my own fault i guess, i never touched the burnpot since new
I been burning Heartland for the past few days maybe those pellets are the culprit, time will tell
i seen someone here post they had a quote for like 7or 8k for a new install i just might get what i paid for this stove and get a M55
! so who wants a 3 month old AE for 3200 :)

oldmountvernon said:
....my older Mt Vernon would burn forever...

Did you have it long enuf to burn forever?

Eatonpcat said:

Don't follow their threads closely. Have they been trouble free?

oldmountvernon said:
Eatonpcat said:

LOL i bet you been lurking in the shadows waiting for this moment! Ultimately this is my own fault i guess, i never touched the burnpot since new
I been burning Heartland for the past few days maybe those pellets are the culprit, time will tell
i seen someone here post they had a quote for like 7or 8k for a new install i just might get what i paid for this stove and get a M55
! so who wants a 3 month old AE for 3200 :)

Not me.

Im getting an M-55 steel..... ;-P

Im sure you'll love the Mt. Vernon once you get to know it on a personal level. But I am the one who tried to get you to keep the non-AE.... ;-P

I read a lot on here. These are great stoves. But 1st you must learn grasshopper.

I looked at the AE, long and hard. But I was scared by the technology. Technology can be a great thing... If you know what its doing and why its doing it... Smoke (among many others) is/are a wise man in the ways of the Vernon. Listen and learn..

Scrape the pot (bottom plate) and fire it up....

oldmountvernon said:

Error message said check ash pan i just cleaned it yesterday so i know that wasnt the problem

So i walk up to the stove and see that the burnpot was 1/2 way thru the autoclean cycle, so it got stuck

I unplugged the stove plugged it back in to restart the autoclean and it started moving but got stuck again

I have noticed the screeching sound lately during autoclean but i have read here that its normal so i didnt pay it any mind

should this be getting lubed maybe ? i dunno looking for anything anyone has to offer also what is the proper way to adress this problem in the future?

How old is your stove?

JoeS said:
oldmountvernon said:

How old is your stove?

A few months.

warranty, right?

I guess I should take a good look at the bottom of my burn pot.

As far as the Quad tool goes, I use it to pop out the things on the side that hold the baffle in place.

I haven't touched my pot yet. The holes have always been clear.

As far as the M55, I am still somewhat regretful I didn't get to give it a good look because I probably would have saved a bunch of cash and still had a pretty-looking cast unit that would do the job. Maybe I'll get a freestanding one for downstairs next year. ;)

smoke show said:
oldmountvernon said:
i dont even know what this is ? is the pointed part used to scrape the pot ? and poke thru the holes ? i dunno LOL

http://i42.tinypic.com/2sbu5ci.jpg

page 35 of the owners manual references the cleaning tool.

if i remember correctly it dont say what to do with it or how to use it i looked quite a few times and im pretty sure it shows the pic but jumps right to the crevice tool stuff

The tools that came with the M55 are the best..I use the metal on as a back scratcher and the brush I use to sauce up my baby back ribs!! ;-)

IMG_0574.jpg

smoke show said:
JoeS said:
oldmountvernon said:

How old is your stove?

A few months.

warranty, right?

I was just wondering if it had all the upgrades. I remember earlier stoves had a problem with the autoclean and there was a software fix for that I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.