My first real scrounge?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
2012-08-23 15.32.21.jpg
Came home to this scene directly across from my driveway!
Now I'm stalking the site waiting for the workers to come back from lunch I presume...
Hopefully they'll let me help myself to some of it, a nice sized maple and a large part of a rock maple I think...
Wish me luck!

Reactions: smokinj
yeah, keep your eye on it, it may be spoken for but just in case go talk to someone.

Keep us posted.
A good score, that close to home is rare .

It seems this tree service calls it a day at 3pm and leaves all of it's equipment sitting in the clients yard...
I was hesitant to call the office number on the truck in case they were supposed to be hard at work on the site and I blew the whistle, that would not be getting off on the right foot.
The problem is I work all day tomorrow, maybe I'll leave a note to feel free to stack any logs in my driveway and offer a few pounds of coffee in return...

Do you know the homeowner? Maybe you can let them know your interested in the wood and they can let the tree service guys know. Or is this a public land situation?

I would talk to the home owner first and see what they say. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, talk to the land owner to get his graces, and if he says you can have it, leave the note on the wood. If you don't, someone else will. Let us know the outcome tomorrow, the suspense is KILLING me....:eek: ....

Good luck!

Dear tree service,
I live across the street and enjoy firewood and beer. I have an overage of beer but cant seem to find any firewood. Do you have any suggestions? If you have any ideas Ill be home from work at 5pm.
Sincerely Yours,
Cross Cut Saw

Dear tree service,
I live across the street and enjoy firewood and beer. I have an overage of beer but cant seem to find any firewood. Do you have any suggestions? If you have any ideas Ill be home from work at 5pm.
Sincerely Yours,
Cross Cut Saw
Fire up a BBQ to further entice them over.

Dear tree service,
Sincerely Yours,
Cross Cut Saw
I bet you this would get a laugh.. and some logs!

Beer bribery works for all sorts of things.
I got my power restored, following an ice storm, ahead of schedule by magically making a case of beer appear on the back of the service truck.

The only thing anyone else could offer were milk sandwiches

Here's to hoping you get the wood . . . but don't get your hopes up too much. A lot of Mainiacs burn wood . . . know someone who burns wood . . . or figure they can sell the wood with Fall just around the corner. That said . . . it never hurts to ask . . . or make a future contact with the tree service.

Here's to hoping you get the wood . . . but don't get your hopes up too much. A lot of Mainiacs burn wood . . . know someone who burns wood . . . or figure they can sell the wood with Fall just around the corner. That said . . . it never hurts to ask . . . or make a future contact with the tree service.

It's amazing how us wood burners come out of the woods everywhere when we see a possible scrounge. But just across from you? Isn't there something in the Constitution or Bill of Rights that says it's yours since you are so close? You should look that up before you go. It would help if you include in your note "I'm calling upon my right to scrounge this wood as set forth in the US Constitution....."

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
Not a good day for a scrounge.

Went to the house last night and didn't get a response (I don't know that neighbor).
Called the tree service in the morning and he said I was welcome to help myself as long as his crew was there and he thought they would be working until 5 or so.

Unfortunately for me I work from 6am-3pm and they had loaded all of it onto their trucks by the time I got home :(.

Literally 25 feet from my driveway...

<>

The tree service was very nice though, I will definitely let them know that if they're in my area and would like lots of free coffee...

Reactions: firefighterjake
View attachment 72529
Came home to this scene directly across from my driveway!
Now I'm stalking the site waiting for the workers to come back from lunch I presume...
Hopefully they'll let me help myself to some of it, a nice sized maple and a large part of a rock maple I think...
Wish me luck!

They even took out that really big one on the left the one neighbor said they pulled up a truck and dropped a huge part of it right into it, I thought they would leave that one it was very tall...

It is better to have scrounged and lost....

actually, no it ain't - that SUCKS!
Better luck to ya next time.

I hate it when work gets in the way!

Well doesnt that just suck...and all the while you trying to get someone to talk to you about it. I always hate when its just bad timing that prevents a good scrounge.

I had a tree service cutting down some ash at some condos next to me, while I was out splitting, a guy from the crew walked up to me and asked if i wanted the wood. Of course I said yes, however i did not have a trailer to get it, and the guy said he would talk to his boss when he got back to the site to see if they could drop it off in my yard, well it never happened. im not sure if it was a liability issue or not but I was only 200 ft away. I was Pi##ed

All I can say is keep asking. I have had a county road commision tree crew drop a dump truck load in my driveway in past, when they were working nearby.
Most recently, late last week while on a bike ride around 7pm, I came across a tree service finishing up for the day, after dropping about a dozen maple trees that had been marked for removal all summer in preparation for a road construction project. I asked what they were going to do with all the wood. Guy says I can cut all I wanted, told him I could not get back there before dark and that I worked the next day, and they were going to be done the next day. Told him I lived a mile down the road and if they had to haul it away, I would take a few loads if they wanted to dump it in my driveway. Guy said that would probably work, but wanted me to stop by the next day while they were there, I showed up on my lunch hour, they were also on break eating lunch, I brought a map to my place and marked where they could dump it. Guy said no problem. I went back to work. Wife calls me at work a bit later and says they just dumped their 3rd dump truck load, by the time I got home from work I had 5, yes 5 dump truck loads of nice maple logs to start cutting and splitting! I told the wife to give the guy some cash. I had beer to give, but already open cases of beer. Some of the logs 12'-15' long. I have my work cut out for me, I have about a third of it bucked so far. Yes I do have pics, will try to add those tomorrow. It pays to just ask, all they can say is no. I've had way more say yes than no.

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
Status
Not open for further replies.