My first scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0AXS

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2014
Nowthen, MN
A guy a couple miles from me had an ad on Craigslist for free wood. Said he had "a bunch of logs". I got a little more than I bargained for when I went over there. Turns out he had a tree service come in and fell some big oak trees, and they cut them into large logs. Most of them were way too big to even think about moving by hand. I tried to cut up some of them, but they laughed at my little Poulan wannabe saw. So, I just took what I could muscle into the back of my truck. Still not bad for my first scrounge though, probably at least a face cord once it's CSS.

He had another guy there that was going to come back with a boom truck and take the real big logs for boards. Too bad I couldn't get more, I guess it's time to invest in a real saw. (which I already planned to do anyway) If I had a real saw, I could have spent all day cutting and hauling wood.

e2y4utap.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
A guy a couple miles from me had an ad on Craigslist for free wood. Said he had "a bunch of logs". I got a little more than I bargained for when I went over there. Turns out he had a tree service come in and fell some big oak trees, and they cut them into large logs. Most of them were way too big to even think about moving by hand. I tried to cut up some of them, but they laughed at my little Poulan wannabe saw. So, I just took what I could muscle into the back of my truck. Still not bad for my first scrounge though, probably at least a face cord once it's CSS.

He had another guy there that was going to come back with a boom truck and take the real big logs for boards. Too bad I couldn't get more, I guess it's time to invest in a real saw. (which I already planned to do anyway) If I had a real saw, I could have spent all day cutting and hauling wood.

e2y4utap.jpg

Congrats and that sucks all at the same time! That's a nice score, but its still gotta feel like the fish that got away. Happy saw shopping!

A real saw on a scrounge not only can get you more wood, But a lot of times if there is more than just you gathering the homeowner my give you the rest just from the look of the saw. Same thing with a truck, if it looks like serious business they will choose you over an suv with tiny trailer.

Even a small saw should be able to handle those. Can you explain further "they laughed at my little Poulan wannabe saw."
That stuff looks like Black Cherry but I can't really tell from that pic....

Even a small saw should be able to handle those. Can you explain further "they laughed at my little Poulan wannabe saw."
That stuff looks like Black Cherry but I can't really tell from that pic....

I mean the logs laughed at it...lol. This stuff it will cut up no problem, but the stuff I left is a different story.

The saw I have now is just the little 14" "Wood Shark". I've had it for 10 years and it runs perfect. It's worked great for what it's designed for....trimming trees and cutting up the occasional branches blown down by a storm. Obviously, now that I have a wood stove to feed, I need an upgrade. That's something I knew going in, so it's no surprise to me. Now I just need to convince the wife that I need to spend $400-$500 on a good chainsaw. :D

Nice load anyways. Good excuse to get a nice new saw ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.