My First Stove. The Englander 17VL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are definitely some stoves that one shouldn't do this with. They get too hot underneath. This can be done right. It's all about insulating/shielding the bottom of the firebox.

alterra.PNG fusion_blk_thumb.jpg

Very nice install...I love those little stoves, but worry about the burn times on it. Was there a reason you went with the 17-VL over the 13?
Just curious.... Keep up the good work.

$499 for the 17!! What..... $1,000 for that is crazy cheap.

Just goes to show some, that it doesn't take $4,000 to make a gorgeous install. Now granted the stove isn't a BKK, butI am sure that your house is much more toasty now, than it was before (cheaper too) :)

Was the stove on some kind of sale? Scratch and dent? You know the Manager? ;)

I had to scrounge around, and paste and cut......................but I finally got a couple of T-shirts for us. XL and large being that's it's a 30NC and a 13NC pictured. The17VL (like yours) isn't pictured, so I hope one of the other sizes fits.!!!

I'll have to shrink mine in the dryer!!

englander-t-shirt-jpg.74043

Very nice install...I love those little stoves, but worry about the burn times on it. Was there a reason you went with the 17-VL over the 13?
Just curious.... Keep up the good work.

The main reason would be the tight clearances on the 17. I just wasn't concerned with heating the entire house as this would be in the main living area and I was certain the 17 would do that. Previously I was looking for a stove that would fit tight into a corner and was going to put it in an addition to our house. After we decided to take a wall down and bring the stove out into the new kitchen dinning area, I thought that the 17 would fit perfect into our kitchen design. Nothing wrong with the 13 at all and it would be a better stove for whole house heating/overnight heating. But overnight burns and longer burn times weren't on the top of my priority list personally. I know that the majority opinion on here is go bigger, but I was convinced that it would suppliment the house very well and maybe even better than just the living area. So far I haven't been disappointed.

Other than that the real reason I feel in love with the stove was because of 48Rob's glowing posts on here. I followed his experiences and those of bpm44, and joecool85 on this stove. You can add me to the list of happy 17 owners.

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
$499 for the 17!! What..... $1,000 for that is crazy cheap.

Just goes to show some, that it doesn't take $4,000 to make a gorgeous install. Now granted the stove isn't a BKK, butI am sure that your house is much more toasty now, than it was before (cheaper too) :)

Was the stove on some kind of sale? Scratch and dent? You know the Manager? ;)

Nope, no connections. I bought it two years ago through Home Depot for their summertime online price. I checked this past summer and it was the same price. Delivered straight to your doorstep for $499.

The real deal was on the chimney. I just lucked out. My neighbor had a through the roof kit and 6' of triple wall from Tractor Supply sitting in his garage. He asked if I knew anyone who wanted it because he wanted it out of his garage. He said $250 and I took it home. Someone else had 6' of new chimney on CL for $75. I called him in a hurry and snagged it.

The hearth pad is made out of some scrap plywood on the bottom for a template, two layers of durock and some 13"x13" tile on sale at Lowes. I had the grout and mortar. The white border is a ripped up 2x4 that I routed the edge and mitered around the base.

I had to scrounge around, and paste and cut......................but I finally got a couple of T-shirts for us. XL and large being that's it's a 30NC and a 13NC pictured. The17VL (like yours) isn't pictured, so I hope one of the other sizes fits.!!!

I'll have to shrink mine in the dryer!!

englander-t-shirt-jpg.74043

Thanks! :)

The 17-VL is one of the better bargains on the market and a good looker too.

Status
Not open for further replies.