My first year & just picked up my first ton.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshawk1

Oct 2, 2010
Upstate NY
I'm a newbie here and in the corn/pellet burning world too.
We bought our first stove this year, a St. Croix Lancaster - it's size was what we needed for the space we had to put it in, and we like it too. We got lucky too, someone had bought two last year and decided they didn't need the second one and had it up for sale on craigslist, we got it for a 1000., brand new and unused.
I got it all hooked up last week and and this past weekend, fired it up for the first time - all went smooth, I either got very lucky or did a good job of following instructions.

It's a multifuel stove, I plan on burning a mix of pellets and corn. The people we got it from said that's what they do, it kept the clinker from sticking. I bought a ton of corn, which fortunately, I don't have to haul home and store, they store it for you, you just stop and get bags as you need them. Today, I went and bought a ton of pellets, that I had to haul home and store. We have it on the front porch (it's enclosed). Never having gotten a ton of anything before, I didn't know what to expect, would it all fit in my truck, would it be hard on it? I didn't know. But they just loaded the pallet on the back and I brought it on home, and the truck handled it fine (it's an 8 cyl Dodge Ram 1500).

Sooooo, supposedly we should be all ready for the cold weather that's blowing in here already (only supposed to be a high of 55 today - ugh!).

Here's a pic;

stove0524a.gif

Holy cats, I took a look at that other thread with the pics - some people aren't fooling around stockpiling the pellets.
I couldn't do that if I wanted, my garage is barely big enough for the car, and very little yard, so no room for a big shed. Fortunately, our house is small, so we don't need the massive amounts of pellets.
I'll try to take a picture of my little "stockpile" later.

I burn wood, but...........

I noted at Lowes this morning, that they were selling Pellets at $218.00 a Ton.

-Soupy1957

blueshawk1 said:
Holy cats, I took a look at that other thread with the pics - some people aren't fooling around stockpiling the pellets.
I couldn't do that if I wanted, my garage is barely big enough for the car, and very little yard, so no room for a big shed. Fortunately, our house is small, so we don't need the massive amounts of pellets.
I'll try to take a picture of my little "stockpile" later.

Some of us like dealing with pellets when they are on sale, or when you can get the delivery vehicle over the river and through the wood or up the hill (as my new neighbor discovered last winter), we also have no desire to run out during cold weather, etc ....

If I really wanted to I could cram better than 20 ton into the ole garage and still fit the jalopy.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Some of us like dealing with pellets when they are on sale,

That's the bad thing about my situation, I don't have the storage room.
Oh well, I'll still be saving on heating company bill, will be more comfortable and it just nice having that fire going (like I do today).

Here's pics of my first ever ton of anything spread out across the porch;

IMAG0531a.gif

IMAG0532a.gif

Welcome!

Nice deal on the stove. Enjoy the heat!

blueshawk1 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Some of us like dealing with pellets when they are on sale,

That's the bad thing about my situation, I don't have the storage room.
Oh well, I'll still be saving on heating company bill, will be more comfortable and it just nice having that fire going (like I do today).

Here's pics of my first ever ton of anything spread out across the porch;

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/blueshawk1/IMAG0531a.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/blueshawk1/IMAG0532a.jpg

I got introduced to ton sized loads loading and unloading trailers many decades ago, lately most of the tonnage has been loam, compost, and snow.

The tons of pellets are small potatoes.

It looks like that porch might have room for another ton if it can support it.

BTW, welcome to the forum and enjoy your fire.

Before I forget - thanks for the welcomes!

The porch would probably support it, but I wouldn't want it full of pellets all the time, like say someplace had an end of season sale, and have my porch full of pellets through the summer. And one ton will probably be enough as my pellet corn mix is going to be heavier on the corn side about 2 to 1.

We are enjoying the fire already. In one sense - not glad that it's already cold enough to do it, but having it, it's nice, enjoying the glow in the evening hours now upon us.

welcome to the forum , nice deal with the stove. when i got mine I had no were to put a ton also. I ended up puting that ton on the skid that came with the stove, and for halling the ton in your dodge, you did better than me. I halled mine in the V6 dodge dakota. Can you say low-rider lol. injoy the heat.

Yes, this truck had no trouble bringing it home, unlike the time with another pickup I had, I was hauling home a bed of gravel, it was soooo loaded down in the back the steering was real easy since the front wheels seemed to barely be touching the ground..... :ahhh:

Welcome to the forum! The stove looks great, and the hardwood heat pellets should do you just fine for warmth.

blueshawk1, Glad you could join us. Great bunch here to hang out with.

I like the looks of the Lancaster. The St. Croix's have got very good reviews from the fellow members.

Welcome and enjoy the new stove
jay

If you get rid of the chairs and tables, you can make furniture out of the pellets and get another couple tons in.

Status
Not open for further replies.