My Firt Try At Scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molly1414

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2007
Nevada County Foothills
Now that we have a larger house to heat this year and higher up in elevation I thought I would pay more attention to people giving wood away for free on CL etc.
Driving down the road this morning I see a guy moving large rounds out to the side of his driveway next to the street. It dawns on me that the only reason someone would pile large rounds of wood next to the street is if they wanted to get rid of it. So I swing around real fast and pull up and ask him what his plans are for the wood. He tells me that he was going to put a giant "free" sign on it. I tell him not to do that and I would be back quickly with my trailer. So I drive home and return with my trailer and we load up about 1/4 of a cord of maple - all free. I like this scrounging stuff.

Good timing and nice find.

Scrounging is a fun hobby. Just think of all those free BTUs you just picked up. I have not "paid" for any of the 20 cord I have in my back yard.

Oh and btw. welcome to the darkside, the addiction. Now as you drive down the road your eye will be straying looking around for downed trees and stacks of wood just sitting there. You know you got it bad when the better half starts asking "Don't you think we have enough?". The only thing is, to me there never is enough. I am always on the lookout, even with 5 years worth c/s/s .

Shawn

Great Molly! You'll probably make this a habit from now on.

btw, is Navada near Nevada? Just picking. :)

And YES it is an addiction. Before I leave the house I always grab my wallet, keys, phone and CHAINSAW !!

Trktrd said:
And YES it is an addiction. Before I leave the house I always grab my wallet, keys, phone and CHAINSAW !!

You forgot Craigslist on your phone... ;-)

It's definitely addictive. I haven't paid for wood in about 6 years, and I live on a small lot with few trees. Everything I get is scrounged.

Yesterday, a friend told me his dad had some trees some down in a recent storm. Brought along another woodburning buddy, turns out this guy lives on 13 wooded acres, had some oaks pushing 100'... branches off of those were a good 6". Between the two of us, after a long day of cutting and hauling, we figured we got close to 2 cords of wood...

I have access to all kinds of free wood on the family land . . . and even now I cannot help myself when I hear of a neighbor or friend that has a tree that they don't want or need . . . yes . . . I know . . . I have a problem . . . but until they come up with WA (Wood Anonymous) meetings in my area I'm going to keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.