Problem with Vista LE EPA certification?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lvmyfire

Feb 23, 2024
Tennessee
In my area, there are two choices for wood stove installation- one, a chimney sweep business; the other, a heating company hired to install stoves for Hearth and Patio (Osburn, Vermont Castings, Jotul). I recently got estimates from both. Still deciding about stoves. Both companies say they will install any stove I pick, but it must be EPA certified (for homeowner's insurance). The chimney business sells Pacific Energy, and recommended the Vista LE, but when he called with the estimate, he said there is a problem with the Vista LE EPA certification- something having to do with the fact that it is in Canada- and that he can only install the Summit LE, which is far too large for my needs. I was driving at the time, and could not give him my full attention. I have called back for clarification, but was late on Friday, so will wait until next week to ask questions. Any idea what this might be?

No idea. This is the first I've heard of this. It doesn't sound right. All PE stoves are Canadian made, including the Summit, and all are EPA certified, always have been. Someone may be blowing smoke here.

No idea. This is the first I've heard of this. It doesn't sound right. All PE stoves are Canadian made, including the Summit, and all are EPA certified, always have been. Someone may be blowing smoke here.
The customer service rep says that new EPA standards came out Feb 1, and the smallest stoves do not meet standards. So I am looking at PE Super 27, Jotul F45 V2, or Osburn 1700. Would love your comments about these 3. Thank you.

The customer service rep says that new EPA standards came out Feb 1
In 2020, the NSPS emission limit for new room heaters was lowered to 2.0 grams per hour if tested with crib wood*, or 2.5 grams per hour if tested with cord wood. I have not read of anything newer. PE stoves were qualified by 2019.

Who said this, PE's customer service rep or the dealer?? If the dealer, I suggest contacting PE directly for clarification.

The customer service rep says that new EPA standards came out Feb 1, and the smallest stoves do not meet standards. So I am looking at PE Super 27, Jotul F45 V2, or Osburn 1700. Would love your comments about these 3. Thank you.
This was the customer service rep for the wood stove installation company. I have searched the PE website and they send you to the local store for questions. I will try contacting another store to ask about this.

I have a PE Vista LE EPA certified and my stove store sells them. Had mine installed June 2022.

I have searched the PE website and they send you to the local store for questions.
Try this form:

I hate to say this but it sounds like they are trying to upsell or very poorly informed. How large of an area will the stove be heating?

Call from a different phone and ask about the PE T4. Same firebox/stove with a more expensive trim package.

Try this form:

I hate to say this but it sounds like they are trying to upsell or very poorly informed. How large of an area will the stove be heating?
My house is 3 levels- 1600 sqft total. Mainly, I will just want to heat the main level, about 600 sq ft. But I may want to heat to reach the whole house at times. I am going to call a store in a different state tomorrow and see if the information is the same.

My house is 3 levels- 1600 sqft total. Mainly, I will just want to heat the main level, about 600 sq ft. But I may want to heat to reach the whole house at times. I am going to call a store in a different state tomorrow and see if the information is the same.
Depending on the floor plan and stove location, heat may migrate upstairs regardless unless the flow is restricted by doorways or partitions. For more potential to heat a larger area, the PE Super LE might be better, especially in below freezing weather.

I can tell you I have 1,900 sq ft cape (main and upstairs) and have 3 levels which is the finished basement. I heat the main level with my Vista in sub freezing weather and we still have to crack the windows at times. Main floor can get into the high 70’s and upstairs bedroom area low 70’s. Before I bought many said the Vista was too small. Hardly the case. You are also in TN where temps are milder than In Mass. I paid $2,300 for the leg version so I saved money over the Super.

Last edited:
Regarding the PE Vista not being available, I have information. I contacted another PE dealer an hour away, asking (by text as directed) if they had the Vista LE available, and he stated that they "could not get the Vista anymore" and suggested the Super. From what I have read about Vista heating power, I think the Super would be more than what I need. Please advise. Jotul F35? But I"m reading it has a smell that lasts a long time. Osburn 1700? Would love advice here. Thank you!

It sounds like the region is using up inventory.

The heating ability of the stove is as much about the house's sealing and insulation as it is about the firebox size. If the house is just moderately insulated and has a lot of windows, then it may need a larger stove than one that is newer, tight, and well insulated with modern windows. It can also depend on where the stove is installed. In a colonial, the heat may largely be constrained to one or two rooms. In an open floorplan house the heat may convect nicely throughout the house.

Also, the stove's firebox size on only one factor. A 2 cu ft stove firebox does not have to be loaded full unless one wants to. We have a 3 cu ft firebox, but it's only burning 6 splits this morning in anticipation of it getting warmer later on today. You control the size of the fire.

The Jotul F35 is a good stove. It does not have an unusual smell. All painted stoves will offgas some when they get hot for the first time. This is the paint baking in. It lasts for 2-3 hot fires once the stove body has gotten over 500º and then stops. Many people do the break-in period in spring or late summer when they can open windows and maybe put a fan blowing the fumes out a nearby window.

Last edited:
@Lvmyfire Update: It looks like there is going to be some churn in the stove industry. Cordwood testing will no longer be accepted by the end of next year. That means a ton of retesting coming up which will back up the labs and add delays. PE got a jump on this with the Vista and Neo 1.6. They saw this coming and took the opportunity to refine the Vista and Neo 1.6 designs as long as they were going to have to be retested. The good news is that they were able to tweak them to pass the 75% hurdle to qualify for the tax credit. It will take a few months to get all the paperwork in place and models shipped, but if you can wait until July or August, then the Vista LE2 should be in stock. These stoves are still non-cats.

Put your wood up in the mean time! You’ll like the extra drying time!

@Lvmyfire Update: It looks like there is going to be some churn in the stove industry. Cordwood testing will no longer be accepted by the end of next year. That means a ton of retesting coming up which will back up the labs and add delays. PE got a jump on this with the Vista and Neo 1.6. They saw this coming and took the opportunity to refine the Vista and Neo 1.6 designs as long as they were going to have to be retested. The good news is that they were able to tweak them to pass the 75% hurdle to qualify for the tax credit. It will take a few months to get all the paperwork in place and models shipped, but if you can wait until July or August, then the Vista LE2 should be in stock. These stoves are still non-cats.
Too bad my 2022 model did not have the credit. Oh well still very happy with it. Thanks for this info since I have a friend that wants to buy a Vista this Fall.

Put your wood up in the mean time! You’ll like the extra drying time!
Yes 100% agree these stoves don’t like marginally seasoned wood. I noticed a difference first year when it took longer getting the stove up to temp especially on cold starts.