Wood Stove Choices: Advice appreciated.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike Lawson

Nov 2, 2022
Augusta, Maine
First off: Seems everytime I searched for an answer to a question, Gaggle always lead me here.
First post, just signed in. Morning!

Wouldn't be unique without a story, right?:

As you may have noticed, oil has gone up significantly, I know... I know... shocking.

Any who, my budget for oil this year is $6,901 and that's if they can keep any oil.
Problem is... the tinfoil doomsdayers seem to be on to something as the news is posting possible shortages of diesel and I'm assuming Kerosene.

So blah blah blah... I'm buying a wood stove.
I hire chimney people to install a liner in... I broke out the refractory cement liner that they claimed they couldn't break from the inside of my chimney (I quote: "You have a 1:39 chance of even breaking one flue" Well, I broke them all so pfffffft) and wanted to install a 5.5" pipe. I wanted 6"
So they installed the accordion type of pipe with insulated liner and a cap for the cheap price of $3,250.00. That's it, accordion pipe (no idea if its the smooth inside version either... fun.... and the blanket insulation. 3.25k....

Oh why? Mrs. wanted it done "right". Sure thing hun (bless her heart). I was going to use double layer insulated pipe. The chimney peeps said that it should be outlawed and they love the stuff they were putting in...
I gave up. I just needed to get this going before this winter.

So...

I have my 6" pipe and now I need a wood stove.

I first looked at 3 different types of stoves from Pacific Energy.. .Vista, Super and Alderlea T5 All seem close to same size, same make up but thousands in difference Prices range online from $1,800 to over $7,000... Insane in my opinion. So I researched and that brought me here which made me remember there is a 26% Tax Credit for 75% and higher EPA efficient stoves. The problem is, PE never reaches 75%. So then I started looking and researching other brands. Lopi, Pleasant Hearth and one other one that eludes me at the moment.

The research which I found mostly results in this: No ONE stove manages to seem to last without being cracked, stress fractures or having that baffle thing break.

So I ask this: My wife wants the VISTA LE from Pacific Energy. I need to heat a large room that is 30' x 24' x 7' . It is from a building that one half was an old 14x60 mobile home that was gutted out and then built as a 26' x 72' house. The stove will go on the stick built side. The air leaks are BAD in the house. How bad? 1000-1200 gallon of oil/k1 used annually. and next to no insulation in the attic.

TL:DR

Q1: Will the Pacific Energy VISTA LE be a stove that can at least last 2 years without having massive regrets?
Q2: If you had to spend the amount that the VISTA LE cost, what would you use?
Q3: I don't think she'd notice the difference between the SUPER LE and the VISTA. Super better of the two?

Thanks everyone. Sorry so long. But after days of research and frustration, just thought I'd download.

Last edited:
PE makes a good stove. Having a 1.7 cu ft stove I really wish it was bigger 4-5 hours between reloads and when it’s cold.

The Vista will certainly last 2 years. It's small enough that it doesn't have a long burn time though. You may want to look at the next size up, the Super.

Also, check out the Drolet line.

How are you going to feed the stove? Do you have wood put up already?

What are you doing about the drafts?

Reactions: Mike Lawson
The Vista is a good stove but I think you will be disappointed with its size. I would look at stoves with at least a 2cu ft fire box. I believe the Drolet line qualifies for the tax credit and you can also include your chimney redline costs.

If you're feeding it wood you are buying now, or split this year, it won't matter this winter as you won't be happy.

You need dry wood. Spend $30 on a moisture meter and know how to operate it (there's more to it than randomly sticking some pins in).

PE is a good brand. Get a larger stove; easy to make a small fire in a larger stove, but cranking a smaller stove to put out more heat may result in said cracking.

Also note that the thousands of folks happy with their stoves are not posting. So what you read is a preselected set of experiences from the negative side.

Check out Efficiency Maine. They have good rebates toward getting a blower door test and gettin air sealing done. That could make for big savings in oil and wood. Also after Jan 1 there will be a US 30% tax credit for weatherization including tighten up those leaks.

The T5 and Super share the same square 2.0 cu ft firebox. It will load N/S or E/W. The Vista has a smaller, 1.6 cu ft firebox that is the same as the T4. The Vista is more of an E/W loader. I recommend getting the Super or the T5. It is a classic, tough design that has endured more than 2 decades. After 2 yrs the stove will just be getting broken in. This is the stove I recommend.

Note that any modern stove requires fully seasoned wood to function properly. The majority of complaints we see here are not the stoves, but poorly seasoned wood.

And yes, stove prices have taken a ridiculous leap this year. Your best money spent right now is in insulation and sealing. That will pay off regardless of the heating method.

Last edited:
The OP mentioned complaints about cracks. That's not due to wet wood.
(But it is correlated to the preselection of "bad stove -> ask advice/complain")

And my note was meant to say that PE stoves are not stoves prone to such problems.

First off: Seems everytime I searched for an answer to a question, Gaggle always lead me here.
First post, just signed in. Morning!

Wouldn't be unique without a story, right?:

As you may have noticed, oil has gone up significantly, I know... I know... shocking.

Any who, my budget for oil this year is $6,901 and that's if they can keep any oil.
Problem is... the tinfoil doomsdayers seem to be on to something as the news is posting possible shortages of diesel and I'm assuming Kerosene.

So blah blah blah... I'm buying a wood stove.
I hire chimney people to install a liner in... I broke out the refractory cement liner that they claimed they couldn't break from the inside of my chimney (I quote: "You have a 1:39 chance of even breaking one flue" Well, I broke them all so pfffffft) and wanted to install a 5.5" pipe. I wanted 6"
So they installed the accordion type of pipe with insulated liner and a cap for the cheap price of $3,250.00. That's it, accordion pipe (no idea if its the smooth inside version either... fun.... and the blanket insulation. 3.25k....

Oh why? Mrs. wanted it done "right". Sure thing hun (bless her heart). I was going to use double layer insulated pipe. The chimney peeps said that it should be outlawed and they love the stuff they were putting in...
I gave up. I just needed to get this going before this winter.

So...

I have my 6" pipe and now I need a wood stove.

I first looked at 3 different types of stoves from Pacific Energy.. .Vista, Super and Alderlea T5 All seem close to same size, same make up but thousands in difference Prices range online from $1,800 to over $7,000... Insane in my opinion. So I researched and that brought me here which made me remember there is a 26% Tax Credit for 75% and higher EPA efficient stoves. The problem is, PE never reaches 75%. So then I started looking and researching other brands. Lopi, Pleasant Hearth and one other one that eludes me at the moment.

The research which I found mostly results in this: No ONE stove manages to seem to last without being cracked, stress fractures or having that baffle thing break.

So I ask this: My wife wants the VISTA LE from Pacific Energy. I need to heat a large room that is 30' x 24' x 7' . It is from a building that one half was an old 14x60 mobile home that was gutted out and then built as a 26' x 72' house. The stove will go on the stick built side. The air leaks are BAD in the house. How bad? 1000-1200 gallon of oil/k1 used annually. and next to no insulation in the attic.

TL:DR

Q1: Will the Pacific Energy VISTA LE be a stove that can at least last 2 years without having massive regrets?
Q2: If you had to spend the amount that the VISTA LE cost, what would you use?
Q3: I don't think she'd notice the difference between the SUPER LE and the VISTA. Super better of the two?

Thanks everyone. Sorry so long. But after days of research and frustration, just thought I'd download.
I just recently read an article saying the reason behind the heating oil rationing is to prevent hoarding and panic buying. Also, the heating oil companies see no gain in buying larger quantities at an inflated price and are opting to buy just enough to meet demand instead until prices settle. For once, someone is thinking ahead. While it will be a PITA to order smaller quantities, the logic behind it is sound.

It's November and you're in ME do you have good dry wood? Do you have a connection for good dry wood lined up? Stove is just a part of it. The price of heating oil isn't a secret, so a lot of people are buying stoves and wood. Seen posts on here where people can't get the stoves they want and some on order for months already.

I just recently read an article saying the reason behind the heating oil rationing is to prevent hoarding and panic buying. Also, the heating oil companies see no gain in buying larger quantities at an inflated price and are opting to buy just enough to meet demand instead until prices settle. For once, someone is thinking ahead. While it will be a PITA to order smaller quantities, the logic behind it is sound.

Ok, how are you going to hoard heating oil?

Reactions: tabner
Check out Efficiency Maine. They have good rebates toward getting a blower door test and gettin air sealing done. That could make for big savings in oil and wood. Also after Jan 1 there will be a US 30% tax credit for weatherization including tighten up those leaks.
I had the Breathing Home come and they have not done anything since March. I have filed a complaint to Efficiency Maine offering to install the installation myself and they can inspect it after. (Up to $9,000 in insulation for free! Just have to get these crooks off their duffs to install it but Breathing Home only game in town and they're doing anything but being dodgy and dragging their feet).

It's November and you're in ME do you have good dry wood? Do you have a connection for good dry wood lined up? Stove is just a part of it. The price of heating oil isn't a secret, so a lot of people are buying stoves and wood. Seen posts on here where people can't get the stoves they want and some on order for months already.
YA, I'm behind the game. Goal is to see what 2+ cu ft. firebox I can get and then start looking for kiln wood. Only option at this point. Even if I have to drive forever to fill a U Haul, it'll be worth it. Sadly all the wood sellers in the area are sold out and the rest who are still doing kiln are regular customers FCFS (Last I checked, kiln wood is over $650.00 for a 128 cu ft cord). So although a horrible start, I figure at best, IF I have to suffer THIS winter, I'll be read in the spring for splitting seasoned wood for the following winter. Meanwhile, I'm hunt and peck for "camping" wood sold at the convivence stores and use in emergency times if ALL ELSE FAILS. Goal is to get something for this winter. Realistic goal is to be fully ready for next year.

I have a super le classic. It loads north south which is a huge deal over the Vista. Go bigger. We love our stove.
I agree and pitched the glass E/W issue with the Mrs. she agreed. Going with the Super LE. Going to investigate the other people have recommended as well... the one that starts with a D.

The Vista will certainly last 2 years. It's small enough that it doesn't have a long burn time though. You may want to look at the next size up, the Super.

Also, check out the Drolet line.

How are you going to feed the stove? Do you have wood put up already?

What are you doing about the drafts?
Thanks, will look into it. As far as drafts. I am trying to work with Efficiency Maine but the companies that they use are dragging their feet and non communicative. I have addressed this to them. They have bumped me to a higher level and are "looking into it". Wish me luck!

Check out sawdust bricks. They are dry and good fuel. (Compressed sawdust only no additions.)

The T5 and Super share the same square 2.0 cu ft firebox. It will load N/S or E/W. The Vista has a smaller, 1.6 cu ft firebox that is the same as the T4. The Vista is more of an E/W loader. I recommend getting the Super or the T5. It is a classic, tough design that has endured more than 2 decades. After 2 yrs the stove will just be getting broken in. This is the stove I recommend.

Note that any modern stove requires fully seasoned wood to function properly. The majority of complaints we see here are not the stoves, but poorly seasoned wood.

And yes, stove prices have taken a ridiculous leap this year. Your best money spent right now is in insulation and sealing. That will pay off regardless of the heating method.
Thanks for the reply. As recommended by others, I decided to look at the Drolet Escape 1800. I cannot tell but it seems like a E/W loading stove which I do not want. Quick search found other posted its an E/W load. Any Drolets thats are N/S loading?

I think you might be able to load the 1800 snugly with 16" splits N/S. Check out the True North TN20. It's PE's value line and like a Super, but with tubes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. As recommended by others, I decided to look at the Drolet Escape 1800. I cannot tell but it seems like a E/W loading stove which I do not want. Quick search found other posted its an E/W load. Any Drolets thats are N/S loading?
If you cut a your wood bit short it will. It Is 2.4 cu ft. Not ideal but possible. They show andirons in the manual. Just some L brackets held in place by the firebricks. Check availability. Tax credit eligible.

Check out sawdust bricks. They are dry and good fuel. (Compressed sawdust only no additions.)
Looks like you can get a pallet for about $400.00 (96 sets of 6 per pallet... supposedly) not sure what it would be in comparison to a cord but it could be a great start for the stove. However, I have read of moisture potential with these. Would a Moisture Meter work on these considering there is no grain? Never used a moisture meter before but did order a General brand at Home Depot so about as greenhorn of a question today I can give. :) And again, thank you for your input!

They are dry. And If you store these inside they will stay dry.

More info here

The moisture meter won't work on them; they are calibrated for wood. (E.g. grain vs particles etc.) But you shouldn't need it for the bricks if stored inside, e.g. a garage. It is a very useful tool for starting wood burners though.

The compressed bricks must stay dry. If they get moisture in them the sawdust swells and breaks apart the brick.

My wife not only helps cut, stack, and burn our wood, she also cleaned the " chimney " too. I was there but she just took over, lol.....she is a catch! She just wanted to help. We do everything 50/50.

Reactions: VintageGal
There are a lot of good stoves out there, and a lot of overpriced ones. 7k is crazy.

My wife and son both help with wood and loading the stove. My wife usually gets up before I do and will get the fire going. It's nice to wake up to a warm house and a wife who smiles and says "I got the fire going", followed by "I just added more wood".

Wood heat is a great family activity.

Reactions: Split and begreen