My Harman TL300 bypass lever slips out of rear position, help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

probert

Mar 19, 2009
Wisconsin
I searched the forum and came up with nothing. Recently, while in back burn, my bypass lever will jump out of it's fully rearward position. Have any other TL300 or Oakwood owners had this issue? I'm thinking there's probably an adjustment to tighten it up so it stays in the rearward position. I've had the stove for 2 years and after a short learning curve, it has been a joy to own and operate. It is very efficient and has really cut our utility bills.

Thanks!

Glad you like the TL300, ive heard the TL300 is a monster of a wood stove. In reguards to your issue, make sure the mechanism that opens and closes that damper is good and clean. Play around with it while the stove is cold to make sure that damper is closing all the way. If there is a little bit of build up where that damper closes it could cause it to slip out of position. Im not sure what exactly that mechanism consists of but it may have loosened up a bit as well. I have a friend that has the Harman OakLeaf with the same damper system.

I had the same problem with my Oakwood - the damper would occasionally fall open. There is a section in the manual on "damper ramp adjustment." When I adjusted the damper to make it close more snugly, I also discovered that the bolts securing the damper had come loose, so check those as well. One had wiggled loose to the point where the damper appeared very close to falling right off!

When the stove is cold, pull off the pipe and the reversible pipe-mounting plate and get in there with a flashlight. As you work the damper back and forth you will get an idea of both how the the adjustment bolt works and how the damper is secured. It's been awhile since I fixed mine, so I can't really recall or explain how to do it. But mine needs adjustment again, so it seems like something that will need to be done every year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.