Not new to wood stoves, new to THIS style

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikeb_az

Nov 26, 2019
Chino Valley, AZ
Howdy all, I tend to be a lurker that searches instead of troubling others. But I seem to be a bit green on the topic of throwing a new style of stove at me, and I can't find what I'm looking for AT ALL.

I recently moved back to AZ, and have purchased a home with a Waterford Stanley "Ashling" wood stove. It is a non-boiler model, and really I'm only using it because I'm having some furnace issues and in battle with the home warranty company. Figured it was a great opportunity to learn proper use of this stove.

There is an owner's manual pdf online. It does NOTHING to answer my question unfortunately.

Here's the deal: There is no flue operation lever AT ALL on this stove!?!?!

There's a small lever right below the front door closure, which the manual refers to as an air wash lever. There is also a handle under the left side that seems to only be intended to clear ash from the grate, no other purpose.

Is this right, no flue lever?

The reason this came up is that the first time using the stove resulted in massive smoke escaping out the front door any time I'd open (to add wood, adjust the stack, etc.) Here I am looking for a flue lever, thinking it's not open enough, and there is none.

Now, this stove also has a side door. Adding fuel through the side door does not seem to allow smoke to escape. Figured this out last night. But obviously a smaller side door has limitations over the larger front door.

If this is normal behavior, then I'll just use the side door. But I really feel like I'm totally missing a control device! Anyone know this stove?

Edit to add: The chimney and everything was inspected in July. This is the first time it's been used since then.

Howdy all, I tend to be a lurker that searches instead of troubling others. But I seem to be a bit green on the topic of throwing a new style of stove at me, and I can't find what I'm looking for AT ALL.

I recently moved back to AZ, and have purchased a home with a Waterford Stanley "Ashling" wood stove. It is a non-boiler model, and really I'm only using it because I'm having some furnace issues and in battle with the home warranty company. Figured it was a great opportunity to learn proper use of this stove.

There is an owner's manual pdf online. It does NOTHING to answer my question unfortunately.

Here's the deal: There is no flue operation lever AT ALL on this stove!?!?!

There's a small lever right below the front door closure, which the manual refers to as an air wash lever. There is also a handle under the left side that seems to only be intended to clear ash from the grate, no other purpose.

Is this right, no flue lever?

The reason this came up is that the first time using the stove resulted in massive smoke escaping out the front door any time I'd open (to add wood, adjust the stack, etc.) Here I am looking for a flue lever, thinking it's not open enough, and there is none.

Now, this stove also has a side door. Adding fuel through the side door does not seem to allow smoke to escape. Figured this out last night. But obviously a smaller side door has limitations over the larger front door.

If this is normal behavior, then I'll just use the side door. But I really feel like I'm totally missing a control device! Anyone know this stove?

Edit to add: The chimney and everything was inspected in July. This is the first time it's been used since then.

Hello,
Im not familiar with your stove, however, not having a flue damper is normal for most stoves.
To save a lot of typing, below is a quick general video on EPA stove operation.

I apologize if you already know the information contained. Just want to make sure you have the basics down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: mikeb_az
FWIW, that version is a multifuel stove in Europe and may be better at burning coal than wood. Mike, does it have the riddling grate or just a simple grated floor with a slider hatch?

Most new stoves do not have nor need a flue damper. This is a simple stove with one air control. It will want dry wood. Smoke spillage may be less with the side door. It has a shallow body and the large front door can spill smoke when draft is not strong.

Last edited:
...not having a flue damper is normal for most stoves...

I apologize if you already know the information contained. Just want to make sure you have the basics down.
That's surprising, every stove I've had in the past had one. Welcome to the modern world, I guess.

And no apology needed, I believe it's always good to start with basics. I know the process, but a refresher is always good since it's been a while!

FWIW, that version is a multifuel stove in Europe and may be better at burning coal than wood. Mike, does it have the riddling grate or just a simple grated floor with a slider hatch?

Most new stoves do not have nor need a flue damper. This is a simple stove with one air control. It will want dry wood. Smoke spillage may be less with the side door. It has a shallow body and the large front door can spill smoke when draft is not strong.
Thanks for your reply, very helpful. This stove does not have a riddling grate, just the grated floor with clearing slider.

I ran it all afternoon and overnight, only using the side door to add wood. That really seems to have been the problem, I did not encounter any escaping smoke when using the side door.

Thanks again all, reassuring info & hopefully successful usage from now on!

Reactions: moresnow
My Ashling does the same. I find if I crack the front door open a half inch before opening it helps. When mine is running hot it won't spill any smoke. When starting a fire it is inevitable it will spill a bit till the chimney draft is established.