My new baby - Woodstock Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
North said:
Todd said:
Very nice install North. I think you will be very pleased with the burns.

Do you have an ash dump under that stove? I rigged up an OAK to my Keystone through the exsisting ash dump and it's pretty much hidden and works great.

Todd, did you fabricate an adapter for the 4in round pipe to the ash dump or buy one? I think I'm going to work on installing an OAK over the Christmas break when I have some extra time.

-North

I took out the ash dump plate and the hole was just about 4" square so the pipe fit down with a little persuasion then filled the gaps with mortar. Also rented a masonry hole saw and drilled through from the outside chimney into the ash dump cavity and installed a vent for the fresh air.

Wow, sure looks like you did a fare amount of surgery on your fireplace! I have a small 6x10 or so cast iron ash dump that is just set into the bottom of the fireplace. I figure I'll fabricate a small metal plate with a 4in round adapter. I like the idea of drilling through and installing an external vent rather than going through my cast ash clean-out door in the basement. Did you have to go through the brick and then the cinder block? Must have been at least 10inches or so, right? I inquired about a drill from my local rental shop and they are $90 for 1/2 day. I ordered the OAK from Woodstock today. I was still eligible for the 10% discount from my stove purchase so it was $36. Thanks for the help and ideas with this, Todd.

North

Status
Not open for further replies.