My new stainless liner has issues. Are they worth fighting over?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I must say the guy gave me the willies standing up there struggling with that unwieldy liner with no strap, no scaffolding, nothing. Just him and empty space. He was a nice guy, too. I didn't want to find him splattered on my walkway!

View attachment 253354

Unrolling the liner straight on a flat surface is what I did. If you ever worked HVAC you know how straight you can unroll pipe. Then we fed the straight pipe down. The way he did it isnt the best way for straightness. No wonder there are bends and kinks. Maybe this is how they do it. Not the way I would. The guy does have some guts though.

What does your stove manual say about a clay liner ,most of the ones iv read say its fine unless damaged. Was yours damaged? You may not even need that SS liner if you clay liner is ok.

Unrolling the liner straight on a flat surface is what I did. If you ever worked HVAC you know how straight you can unroll pipe. Then we fed the straight pipe down. The way he did it isnt the best way for straightness. No wonder there are bends and kinks. Maybe this is how they do it. Not the way I would. The guy does have some guts though.
We straightened mine out in the yard before we brought it up and slid it right down nice and straight, they're not all that heavy.

What does your stove manual say about a clay liner ,most of the ones iv read say its fine unless damaged. Was yours damaged? You may not even need that SS liner if you clay liner is ok.
I am sure it says a code compliant class a chimney. That means no cracked liners no bad mortar joints proper clearances to combustibles etc

At $8,500 maybe the best solution is to pull the stove and take it with you when you go to buy a new house.
The problem with that is this liner is now a known problem which they would be required to disclose at sale. And most buyers would then want it fixed. But 8500 does seem to high

Not that it meens much at this point but is that liner installed upsidedown?