My new tree guy dropped this off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
I responded to two Craigslist tree companies Saturday offering free logs. One texted today for my address. Here’s what I came home too. I’m happy.

Attachments

• 065A5CE6-BE91-4088-BCAE-4C3A5EF90385.jpeg
    065A5CE6-BE91-4088-BCAE-4C3A5EF90385.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 472
Nice
Bucked and all

Reactions: aussiedog3
Looks like it might be something in the Red Oak group..?

That’s what he told me, red oak. I don’t know how to identify wood yet, definitely has a smell. I’ll find out in 2022 hopefully.

That’s what he told me, red oak. I don’t know how to identify wood yet, definitely has a smell. I’ll find out in 2022 hopefully.
To ID Oak, look for "medullary rays," light-colored lines radiating out from the center of the end grain. They're not always distinct, but many times they are.
Oak rays.jpg

Reactions: coutufr
I had an issue to take care of today, a branch broken by high winds a few days back. I went up on the big ladder and tied a100' 1/2" bull rope to it so that milady could pull the branch away from me as I cut it off. I was standing on an 8' step ladder and using a pole saw. I got a little more Sugar Maple and added to the pile I have from a big Sugar that the tree man took down for us last year.

Is Sugar Maple good for burning? I have a bunch that has sun scald, barks just falling off, or something and needs to be thinned out.

Is Sugar Maple good for burning? I have a bunch that has sun scald, barks just falling off, or something and needs to be thinned out.
Great wood, about equal to Red Oak BTU.

Last edited:
Reactions: coutufr

It's the best we have, here.

I responded to two Craigslist tree companies Saturday offering free logs. One texted today for my address. Here’s what I came home too. I’m happy.
I'd be happy too

I'd be happy too
You gotta deal with "tree man chunks," but it's hard to beat having free wood dumped in your processing area. Really, I don't see too many chunks or crotches in what he's got there..nice score! >>

Last edited:
Split a chunk of it
04241A2A-EC03-40C0-9BCF-98F2304E4B18.jpeg
whats this other stuff here
B965827F-5671-4C8C-A629-662A1C3AD721.jpeg
i picked this up on way home from work last year, stringy, annoying to split. Is this elm? Someone else here described it like that. Will it be easier in freezing temp?

Attachments

• 6F780BB8-ADB6-4381-BB5A-166FB0659FC2.jpeg
    6F780BB8-ADB6-4381-BB5A-166FB0659FC2.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 144
The middle piece with the chunk taken out of it looks like white oak but I don't see medullary rays.
They might be there I just don't see them.

Yea that's the piece I was referring to. The one to the left also. The bottom attachment tho looks like elm maybe.

I do not see any Elm
Not twisted and stringy enough

Reactions: jaoneill
That's white oak. Great stuff. I'm hand splitting a few cords of it now. Stringy, but worth it.

Reactions: jaoneill
Thanks, the old guy who’s yard it was on said oak, will it split better when frozen?

I dont think being frozen makes it easier or harder. I think letting the rounds dry until cracks are distinct makes it much easier if hand splitting which doesn't take very long.....couple weeks maybe....but that's my personal opinion.

Not too bad, cut to length and nice size rounds to work with

What’s this. Center of a few spilts. Like a mold?
A9A25A81-B382-429C-99C1-371C06E97D9B.jpeg

What’s this. Center of a few spilts. Like a mold?View attachment 248557
I've got that exact stuff with some apple wood.

Anyways, thanks to threads like this I have reached out to my local tree companies/guys and in theory if they are doing a job in my area I will get some logs!

What’s this. Center of a few spilts. Like a mold?
I had a large white oak to cut and split that had been dead standing for about 5 yrs. I was surprised how punky the large rounds had gotten. I thought white oak was supposed to be resilient to all that, but I guess not enough. It had plenty of white mold in the existing cracks.

Finished up I’m thinking about 1.75 cords. Stacked most of it on two pallets about 7’ high. I’m always left with just enough to start another pallet. That will lead to scrounging enough to just finish off that pallet, then I’ll have a little extra to start again.....
47F6A15E-0387-4D1A-8624-13CA9108A0BE.jpeg

Reactions: aussiedog3