My New Troy-Bilt 27-Ton Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I found this on Craigslist, $500. It is Troy-Bilt model 24AF572B766 model series 570, 27-ton splitter 5.5 HP Honda engine. The seller was the mythical little old lady that never used it much, really, I'm not kidding! She told me her husband doesn't want to burn wood anymore, and her son moved away. She said it's been sitting, covered in the backyard last 3 years. I checked the oil, put in some gas and it fired right up. I brought a log with me too. The engine cut out when I tried to split it. I let it warm up some and it went right through the 14": oak log I brought with me. Probably not the best splitter out there, but can't beat it for the price. Now I have to learn how to maintain it, I plan on using it quite a bit. Any body want to buy a Stickler?
Optimized-IMG_20120919_092359 (1).jpg

I had basically the same machine (26 ton bought in '99 ) for a long time . It never let me down . I sold it to get a machine with a log lift . The guy I sold it too has never had a problem with it either. So, I think you got a good deal , enjoy !
You might want to have a good look at the hydro fluid , and change the filter if that hasn't been done recently .

Wish I could find a deal like that, great score. By the pic it looks hardley used.

Good deal!

I love mine! Its been through hell and back a couple times. ;)

Great deal.
Should last you many years.
You will probably never run into a round it won't split.
I see a few big ones in the pic to try the vertical position on.
Have fun

Great score - looks cherry.
My CL adds read like this:

" Wood splitter - 23 tons, 10 years old. $1500 firm" ;lol

Thats a great buy in this area. They go for 7-800 used.

Price was right for sure.

Great deal.
I see a few big ones in the pic to try the vertical position on.
Have fun
Congrats , You got a good deal :). These vertical guys don't miss anything!!!! Lol....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nice score. Looks similar to my 27 ton Yardman splitter I bought at a yard sale for $500. It needed a new motor which I replaced with the exact same from a pressure washer that had issues with the sprayer.

You just hit a home run. I would at least change hydro filter. My manual said to do so after 500 hours.

You just hit a home run. I would at least change hydro filter. My manual said to do so after 500 hours.

There is a cross ref# here some where with napa filter. There about 10-12 bucks the one from troy built is 40.00 bucks.

51551-10mic
51552-20mic
51553-30mic
Sorry, I'm not following you. You wrote "Purolator H32010
or napa 1259
These work for the troy built not sure for the husky." in another thread.
What do your numbers
51551-10mic
51552-20mic
51553-30mic mean? Is that the Napa filter number to get for the Troy-Bilt? thanks

Sorry, I'm not following you. You wrote "Purolator H32010
or napa 1259
These work for the troy built not sure for the husky." in another thread.
What do your numbers
51551-10mic
51552-20mic
51553-30mic mean? Is that the Napa filter number to get for the Troy-Bilt? thanks

I just copyed and pasted it, but if I remember right I got the 51551 and it filters down to 10 microns. I took the old filter with me and they had it in mins. Napa guys are good. (I would go look but MMAUL Got my splitter)

Thank you for the info.

I have the same splitter. Napa crossed over to #1259.

I love the splitter. Changing oil was messy until I fabricated a drain pan made out of copper flashing. Great splitter.

Reactions: smokinj
You stole it! Thats a great price and a pretty good splitter, they're priced $900+ around here and dont last long. Right place right time, nice score.

I just copyed and pasted it, but if I remember right I got the 51551 and it filters down to 10 microns. I took the old filter with me and they had it in mins. Napa guys are good. (I would go look but MMAUL Got my splitter)
I went to Napa Parts today. I asked for both the 51551 and the the 1259 filters. The 1259 said hydraulic filter on the box. The 51551 said oil filter on the box and was 1/2" longer. Same threads on both. Is there any difference to worry about one between an oil filter and a hydraulic filter?

I went to Napa Parts today. I asked for both the 51551 and the the 1259 filters. The 1259 said hydraulic filter on the box. The 51551 said oil filter on the box and was 1/2" longer. Same threads on both. Is there any difference to worry about one between an oil filter and a hydraulic filter?

Heck if I can find any diffrance. My last one got at least 8 cords on it.

Both are intended for hydraulic applications. The 1259 is listed for tractor applications and probably has a heavier case (higher burst pressure rating). Both are 10 micron filters with the same 12-16 GPM flow rating.

Both are WIX filters by origin

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51259
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51551

Reactions: smokinj
Status
Not open for further replies.