1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My new wood mover

Post in 'The Gear' started by JoeyD, Nov 5, 2012.

1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    We had a Dixie Chopper with a 26HP Yanmar (pretty sure it was anyway) and that thing was a spectacular POS. Leaked oil from just about every seam and bogged down and overheated when cutting tall grass. I'd take the 31HP Kawi FX850V on my mower over that diesel any day. It makes ridiculous amounts of torque has never had a mechanical hiccup.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

There are thousands of Deere machines out there under Yanmar power that repeatedly demonstrate the excellence of those engines. How the engine is installed makes a huge difference as far as longevity is concerned as well. DC has not particularly impressed me with their engineering prowess.

And Danno if we're going cross-country on a Deere, it's going to be a ProGator with the 3 cyl gas Yanmar. ;)
  3. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Nice shiny new tractor and cart. My finances keep me in high quality 40 year old tractors rather than new ones. Shiny would be nice though. I have a Cub cadet braneded 12 cu ft cart that is way to light duty for me. Both the wheels have just caved in on me. Since I replaced them with 40 year old IH Cub Cadet wheels the bearings just explode now. I am always on the lookout for a nice 40 year old HD trailer.
  4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Straight_Story
    Great movie.
    MasterMech likes this.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I guess I did make that sound like I threw Yanmar under the bus...I was talking about that "one" Yanmar on the Dixie. I've operated several other machines under Yanmar power and they were all pretty good. I'm sure for every one bad one there are probably 100 that are approaching "immortal" status.

If I were driving a "lawnmower" across country I would get a JD 8400 with a finish mower.:p
  6. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I shuttle wood across my yard from my big piles with a JD Sabre lawn mower and garden dump cart. I put chains on it for the winter and it works just fine till the snow gets really deep. You'll be surprised what that JD will go through with the deck off and chains on it!