My Office

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
For the next couple of months I'm going to be cutting fence row in a field. These aren't your typical fence rows though. Plenty of 10-12" DBH mulberry and hackberry like normal, but it is also lined with 24-40" DBH ash, maple, hackberry, walnut, oak, and hickory.
Last summer a storm took several of the large trees down and now I get to clean them up.
image.jpg
This is the largest tree I'm cleaning. It's a hackberry, around 32" DBH. I'm a little leery of it because it has a hollow spot up top. I'm saving it for last and may skip it all together.
image.jpg
Looking down a row with a downed beech and oak. The ash in the foreground is coming down also. Top is on the ground and we started working on it today.
image.jpg
This is the jumbled mess a lot of it is in though. The farmer took equipment down here and pushed a lot of the trees out of the field. Dirty dull chains for me.

I called a friend with an OWB and had him cut with me today. We cut A LOT of wood and left piles of rounds. Saturday he is bringing his 30 ton splitter and we are going to get to work. Luckily one of my stacking areas is only 100yards away.

Reactions: Riff
Nice! Looks like fun. I am working a guys 20 acres up north east, just me though and lots of walking arm fully of wood to my truck.

Very nice looks like your going to be busy for a while....

Looks like fun. Can't wait to get out in the woods and start doing that again.

For the next couple of months I'm going to be cutting fence row in a field. These aren't your typical fence rows though. Plenty of 10-12" DBH mulberry and hackberry like normal, but it is also lined with 24-40" DBH ash, maple, hackberry, walnut, oak, and hickory.
Last summer a storm took several of the large trees down and now I get to clean them up.
View attachment 172758
This is the largest tree I'm cleaning. It's a hackberry, around 32" DBH. I'm a little leery of it because it has a hollow spot up top. I'm saving it for last and may skip it all together.
View attachment 172759
Looking down a row with a downed beech and oak. The ash in the foreground is coming down also. Top is on the ground and we started working on it today.
View attachment 172760
This is the jumbled mess a lot of it is in though. The farmer took equipment down here and pushed a lot of the trees out of the field. Dirty dull chains for me.

I called a friend with an OWB and had him cut with me today. We cut A LOT of wood and left piles of rounds. Saturday he is bringing his 30 ton splitter and we are going to get to work. Luckily one of my stacking areas is only 100yards away.
More pics...
Firefighter938, are you finding any hedge in any of that fence row?

Status
Not open for further replies.