MY Quadra Fire Cumberland Gap is not burning right all of a sudden, any advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What concerns me is that we can only see about 3 tiles worth into the flue before it goes black. That means either 1.) it's too dark for that flashlight to give us a longer view or 2.) the buildup is so thick that it can't penetrate it.

I've found that a tiny LED light will let me see all 18ft of my stainless flue 10x better than my Maglight.

I've never had the shiny black stuff so I'll let others comment on how bad it is,
but I would definitely get it swept sooner rather than later. Think of it as fuel for a chimney fire.
If you have the build-up all the way to the top, that's a bunch of fuel. When your
chimney is clean, your stove will perform better. If your wood is wet oak, it's
going to be a struggle. You're going to have to keep a close eye on that chimney
this year.

Yep, as others have pointed out, less than dry wood can really plug up the flue in a short amount of time. 3 months is more than a short amount of time. New burner, check the flue daily. :cheese: Okay, maybe not daily, but at least twice a week. Okay, fine, once a month, at least until you know how things are going.
I've been on my ladder to the top of the flue 3 times this season, and each time, the cap is gunked up a little. Flue is fine, and I've been burning nice hot fires. Those gases hit the cold air at the cap, and BAM, "Houston, I think we've got a problem".
I'm probably going up there again this week some time now that we're getting warmer temps.

PapaDave said:
Yep, as others have pointed out, less than dry wood can really plug up the flue in a short amount of time. 3 months is more than a short amount of time. New burner, check the flue daily. :cheese: Okay, maybe not daily, but at least twice a week. Okay, fine, once a month, at least until you know how things are going.
I've been on my ladder to the top of the flue 3 times this season, and each time, the cap is gunked up a little. Flue is fine, and I've been burning nice hot fires. Those gases hit the cold air at the cap, and BAM, "Houston, I think we've got a problem".
I'm probably going up there again this week some time now that we're getting warmer temps.

Now I wish I didnt have a top floor with vaulted cielings, the angle on that roof is just brutal and scary to get into :(

Keep us posted on how things work out. Hopefully you can inspect and sweep soon, even if you have to hire it out. I'm fortunate that my flue penetrates the part of our roof on the second floor that has a very, very mild angle. My dad helped us erect an old antenna framework that he used to have his antenna on. It's buriend/rebared/concreted into the ground and eye bolted into the side of the house, so getting up to the roof is a breeze. Shoot some pics of the stuff that comes out during the cleaning. Inquiring minds want to know! Hopefully you're clean and running normal again soon.

jcolgan said:
PapaDave said:

Now I wish I didnt have a top floor with vaulted cielings, the angle on that roof is just brutal and scary to get into :(

One option is to hire a sweep to come and show you how to clean it. Watch what he does. Step where he steps.
If it's really bad, hire someone to do it for you. When your wood improves, it won't need to be swept as often. it's
not worth dying for. I'll always remember retired Green Bay Packer Max McGee who died falling off his roof at age 75. He
was blowing leaves off the roof and could have afforded to have a helicopter do the job for him.

I've got vaulted ceilings too, but the angle isn't bad. I have a healthy fear/respect for heights,
but I love the view once I get up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.