My Squash is rotting right off the plant! help...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried growing them from seed, then transplating them, I also bought little bundles of oinions, and from little onions. I get good tops! Bottoms are nothing to right home about. I now buy the little bulbs and toss them in with some of my tomatoes and other vegies to keep the bug away. My son bought some in a box from the nursery that looked like a box of grass. He took his time and set them out. He now has good onions. He also has good carrots, another of my failings. I have grown sweet potatoes and celery with good results, but my root crops are mostly blar. I am going to get my soil tested. I did that when I first put my garden in down in the woods. I added just what they suggested and had a fantastic crop. Can't do the woods spot again now. It will cost a lot to have it made ready again. I am working on another spot near the garage when it is close to everything. I dug up a small area of that spot and planted winter squash. It is growing like weeds and is setting on fruit.

You might want to dig your onion patch (same with the carrots down at least 18 inches removing all rocks and add a lot of organic matter (peat moss for example) and mix it up good. A number of root and root like crops need deep rock less soil and some even tend to like sandy soil better than one might think.

I'm always removing rocks and adding organic matter and the parsnips, beets, turnips, carrots, and onions seem to like it better each year.

This is the fifth year digging in the same dirt and there are still rocks to remove. If you want a full time job around here it would be removing rocks, one can't seem to get them all.

We grow rocks in our other beds too. LOL That is one definite advantage of our raised beds, though they are less deep, the onions and carrots like them a lot. Note, one trick for good onions is a little sulfur in the soil.

had a chance to really inspect the squash today...Squash Vine Borer. They descimated the plants in just 5 days. Pretty impressive for a grub. Has some blossom end rot on some tomatoes....adding egg shells to adjust soil. Guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.