My stash for this winter w/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Got seven cord stacked, plus another one piled, plus about two ready for the splitter...The stacked seven will be plenty for this winter, the rest will carry over to 2009/2010. About 40% cherry, 30% hard maple, 20% ash, 10% soft maple. Next will be building a wood shed...

Attachments

• 191850171307_0_BG.jpg
    191850171307_0_BG.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 874
  • 591850171307_0_BG.jpg
    591850171307_0_BG.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 819
Couldn't post all three pics.. here's the one of the rounds waiting for the splitter...

Attachments

• 991850171307_0_BG.jpg
    991850171307_0_BG.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 810
The big ole Buck is gonna be well fed.

BrotherBart said:
The big ole Buck is gonna be well fed.
You got that right- I split alot of the hard maple into huge chunks- 12'' splits for overniters. Some of the logs were well over 30" in diameter- check this one out giving the splitter a run for it's money!

Attachments

• 885607450307_0_BG.jpg
    885607450307_0_BG.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 764
Yep. Those big'uns can be a bear.

Attachments

• big oak.JPG
    big oak.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 758
Nice! Gives me the itch to go cut and split more.

Hey BB- speaking of the big ole Buck, I just measured the firebox- 15" deep, 26" wide, 20" tall- my math tells me that's 6.5 cubic feet- :bug: - that can't be right- is my math wrong?

That is a 4.5 cubic foot firebox. There are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot.

Twenty inches below the baffle would be one tall firebox. Taller than any Buck I ever saw.

Edit: My Sierra was the big boy on the block in the heyday of it and the Buck and it is 23" deep, 26" wide and 14" high bricks to baffle. 4.8 cubic feet.

BrotherBart said:
That is a 4.5 cubic foot firebox. There are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot.

Twenty inches below the baffle would be one tall firebox. Taller than any Buck I ever saw.
No baffle in mine. Speaking of, I am contemplating installing one. There are several alterations I would like to make- just hesitant to do so.

Nice job so far brooktrout...you are to be commended. Just say'en I wear those same type of TSC gloves, think I wore out about 4 pair so far but I like 'em for getting a good grip on the wood.

It needs a baffle of some kind to hold the smoke in it longer to give the flame a chance to ignite it. The Sierra stack would go clear over five hundred degrees with a blue rolling gas burn up under the baffle.

Of course it had secondary air inlets at the top of the glass. Crude as it was. They just didn't put gasket rope at the top of the glass and that acted as a bit of an airwash and also gave secondary to the top of the firebox.

savageactor7 said:
Nice job so far brooktrout...you are to be commended. Just say'en I wear those same type of TSC gloves, think I wore out about 4 pair so far but I like 'em for getting a good grip on the wood.
Yeah, I buy them in packs of two pair. They do wear out fairly quickly, but the leather grips the wood nicely.

Good job brooktrout! Looks like your school of hard knocks last year had you come back with a prepared vengence :snake:
Nice serious pile of wood. Enjoy!

north of 60 said:
Good job brooktrout! Looks like your school of hard knocks last year had you come back with a prepared vengence :snake:
Nice serious pile of wood. Enjoy!
Absolutely- learned not to expect to be able to buy decent firewood in the middle of January!

very nice indeed! You way ahead of me. I finally am jsut getting two loads this week! about 1.75cord/load. I still have about 2.5 cord that is already dry from last year and what I scrounged off my land that had been blown over for at leat 2 years that was dry. I know It is pretty dry because my saw told me so!

3.5 cords cut and stacked, and a bunch from a pile that was cut and stalked and too long from the other stove. I just split a bunch of those big ones the other day. I quarter them then tip the splitter horizontal and do them in!

brooktrout said:
Some of the logs were well over 30" in diameter- check this one out giving the splitter a run for it's money!

Yep, big stuff. Where the tape is sitting on the log, it reads 43".

Attachments

• 012sm.jpg
    012sm.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 398
Thats when you are glad that you bought a horizontal/verticle log splitter!!!

burntime said:
Thats when you are glad that you bought a horizontal/verticle log splitter!!!

Log lifter and work platform. I don't crawl around well.

ok, now you are just showing off!!! :lol:

burntime said:
ok, now you are just showing off!!! :lol:

Showing off my bad knees, bad back, bad..........

Jags said:

Been married 33 years. I have a black belt in crawling, groveling and sniveling.

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:

Been married 33 years. I have a black belt in crawling, groveling and sniveling.

Why do you think I have bad knees, bad back and bad..........

How about a pic of your log splitter jags, I am wondering how hard to add a log lifter to my 25 ton speedco splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.