My stove hates me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
I can operate this thing all day long with absolutely no issues.
But come time to load it up for the over night burn and it decides not to cooperate.
Last night I loaded it up at 8:00. Got a nice burn going, closed the air down and about a half hour or so later, I had an overfire. So of course, then I was up until 11:00 babysitting the stove.
I don't know why, but it only seems to happen on the over night loads when all I want to do is get it going and get off to bed. I am still learning and it seems to happen more when I put a split of some old oak I have in there.:confused:

Usually colder air at night so stronger draft also can be one reason.
Have you tried bigger splits on the night load?

How large was the coal bed on the reload? Was it burned down before reloading?

Last edited:
Hate is such a harsh word. Maybe it just likes a little mischief?

It sounds like you were hurrying the reload on a stove that wasn't ready. I think we all do that at times. When you know you have to time things like Santa's arrival, etc, put some small loads in during the evening so you can limp the stove along until it's time to do the heavy load at night.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
What temperatures are you reading during the overfire? Or are you simply saying that your stove pipe is glowing :ZZZ

Sounds like you're loading on a large coal bed. I have done the same thing. If I load NS on a huge coal bed you can count on temps over 700*. Not an overfire, but an atomic blast. Waiting a little longer for the coals to burn down, raking coals forward and loading EW help slow this significantly. Merry Christmas!

Usually colder air at night so stronger draft also can be one reason.
Have you tried bigger splits on the night load?
I normally use a few quite large pieces of red oak for the overnight burn. It helps with keeping the temps in check and it keeps the fire going for a very long time.....well into the waking morning hours of the next day. This might help. Also, I've got an 'old timer' that has lived here in the mountains for years that will put one log on the fire that has more moisture in it. I wouldn't recommend that method but he has burned wood for over 70 years and swears by it to keep from having an overfire situation overnight.

How large was the coal bed on the reload? Was it burned down before reloading?

I usually rake all the coals towards the front and let them burn down so that there are just enough to get the new load going.
Not really sure about the temps, I just know the top of the insert where the air blows out was beginning to glow.
I'm sure it's my loading habits or just rushing it, but it never happens during the days loads. That's what is confusing.
The only time I have ever gotten the stove to glow during the day was on a cold start and I left the door ajar a little too long.

I normally use a few quite large pieces of red oak for the overnight burn. It helps with keeping the temps in check and it keeps the fire going for a very long time.....well into the waking morning hours of the next day. This might help. Also, I've got an 'old timer' that has lived here in the mountains for years that will put one log on the fire that has more moisture in it. I wouldn't recommend that method but he has burned wood for over 70 years and swears by it to keep from having an overfire situation overnight.

I suspect that may help. However (as you said,,,not recommended).

That is similar to buying a car specifically for fuel economy, then driving with your left foot on the brake all day.

Not really sure about the temps, I just know the top of the insert where the air blows out was beginning to glow.
I'm sure it's my loading habits or just rushing it, but it never happens during the days loads. That's what is confusing.
The only time I have ever gotten the stove to glow during the day was on a cold start and I left the door ajar a little too long.
Maybe it's always glowing, but you don't see it unless it's the dark of night!

I have been entertained at night up into the wee hours with the same type hot burn. As others have said, the answer for my Regency is to load it about 30 minutes prior to bed time with large splits and/or whole rounds (dried). After the load is charred and a medium flame is going the air gets cut back 75% and the draft will make the flame come up after almost appearing to go out. Then the air can be cut back to approx. 10% and I'm off the bed. If the wood is not sufficiently dried the fire will go out leaving the door glass blackened, but with properly dried wood there will be a nice bed of coals 8 hrs later with a white cloudy glass that wipes away with a clean cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.