My Switzer install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would say it would be questionable. I don’t really know, but usually the range for something like that is +-300ft with no barriers. I have a WiFi range extender in my garage already due to my water heater needing it, so mine is only going 20’ and it does have full strength at that distance. That is through one wall with tin on one side and OSB on the other. It might work if your actual connection point is 50’ away.

How is your journey with the Switzer?
I have been burning the Switzer for ~ 6 weeks. Things have finally smoothed out. The motor that opened/closed the primary door would open, but not close. That started to cause condensation to drip from the stove pipe. Last week Gary sent me a new motor and it's back to working fine. Yesterday I pulled the stove pipe to see if there was any creosote and I am VERY happy to say that there was nothing but ash, and not much of it. I think I am getting the hang of it. I have been burning more wood than in the past few years but we have been significantly colder this year.
The boiler is kept out in a woodshed. I built a room around the boiler to protect the exposed pipes from freezing. I covered the front of the boiler with cement board to protect the insulation from getting torn. I had to move a lot of the copper pipe and the electric in the shed. I am sure you know that one project tends to lead into another and another and another. I figured that it would take me until January to get the boiler installed and trimmed out and I am just finishing it up 6 weeks late.
I appreciate your advice and help. I will probably buy the UbiBot in a few weeks. It will be interesting to see the temperature data points when the boiler is burning.
Bob

Reactions: sloeffle
Here’s a few pics of my boiler in burning mode.

IMG_1425.jpegIMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg