My version of a Firestarter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a cedar shim as my fire starter. It works well for me, any reason I have not seen anyone else use these?

I use a cedar shim as my fire starter. It works well for me, any reason I have not seen anyone else use these?

Former co-worker used to go out and buy a bundle for use as a fire starter . . . I've used some in the past . . . usually ones that were buggered up or old ones that I removed off my house.

I'm kind of a DIY person (and, uh, cheap frugal ), so instead of buying, I started making my own.
Started with this.
View attachment 76872
Melted wax in this
View attachment 76873
Poured the wax into the sawdust.
View attachment 76874
One of these little cubes/cups under a couple splits, and I'm off to the races in under a minute (usually).
We can do it...we have the technology, and the sawdust, and the empty egg carton.
Bonus, you can cook your eggs on the stove to get the carton. Circle of life. Or, something.
Good old American ingenuity I like it.

Reactions: ScotO
Stole some of my wife's old candles, cleaned out the lint trap and tried making some up this afternoon. Just one question, will they make a mess in the stove or does the wax pretty much vaporize once it's burnt up?

Status
Not open for further replies.