My woodstove is installed after much work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderingWoman

Hearth Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Pacific NW
Hi, I worked all summer at enclosing part of my porch and wanted to share the progress.
There are still some things to do, but the stove is installed!

August2008049.jpg

Looks great. Have you had a breakin fire yet?

Hey, I've been wondering about you. :) That looks just terrific! Got lots of that apple wood piled up and seasoning? Very nice job on the remodel/stove installation. Rick

I have my 5 cords of applewood stacked and ready. Haven't had much time to get my own wood what with this remodel.

I did get redtagged so had to file for a permit. The building inspector told me not to worry about it. I think they wanted their $250. They didn't bug me until they noticed the chimney pipe.

What, you don't have a shorty 12-guage to discourage the lookey-loos? ;-) Rick

Just got the actual stove put in today, the chimney pipe was done weeks ago. I had to finish the floor first. I put down slate tiles. So, I haven't done a fire yet, it's been cold enough this summer.

I don't want to burn anything during the day until I get my permit approved by the planning commission. That's this Thursday.

That is looking sweeet. Glad to hear that its coming along nicely. Remember to fire that thing up while you can throw all the windows open. Oh, and if your manual has a "break in" section, explaining fires and temps, follow it. You will want to cure the paint in the best possible manor for your stove.

Very nice, now you will sit in awe until threw a few break in fires, when the time comes and you let er rip you will be tickled pink!

Very nice job WW ...nice touch with the stove resting on the slate too or is it sand stone?

Great job! :) heres too a nice warm cozy home this winter! Cheers!!

savageactor7 said:
Very nice job WW ...nice touch with the stove resting on the slate too or is it sand stone?

I had the slate in my garden, my late husband had found it up in the mountains years ago and gotten it for me. So, it has a lot of sentimental value!

Beautiful job all the way around. Enjoy!

Nice looking stove ya got there WW! It looks right at home. You are an inspiration tackling this project by yourself. Sit back and enjoy now, you've earned it.

Not to get you nervous, but if Elk were here he would be quick to point out that the furnace return air grille is about 4 feet too close to the stove. Just giving you a heads up in case the authorities point it out, though I'm guessing they won't.

Tell them it's a supply register (which it may well be) and they shouldn't have any problem with it located where it is. Rick

EDIT: Supply = air entering the room through the register. Return = air leaving the room through the register.

Nice try but definitely return air grille. If that's a supply, someone has the system setup backwards.

Turn on the fan and put a piece of paper over it...if it's sucked down, it's a return, if it's blown up, it's a supply. She's done some major mods to this place, and either kind of register is very commonly found in the floor anyway. Rick

I admire the obvious effort you put into that job. I wish I was a more of a do it yourself type.

One thing I did hire out was the installation of the stove and stovepipe. I didn't want to tackle that technically challanging job. But I opened up the wall, put in the header and support posts, insulation, wiring, sheetrock, concrete board subfloor, slate tile floor install, etc. There's still some work to finish up, but that's mostly fun stuff.

Yeah, I knew it was a return grille, I've installed several of those. Way to go on the addition, you're really an inspiration. I'm about to attempt a period porch staircase, but that is nothing next to what you did. Just checking, you did put a plywood subfloor under the concrete board, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.