My Woodstove single wall pipe is 8 inches from my log walls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow. Beauty spot. Looks like a keeper. Sure looks like the stream could hold trout. Enjoy.

I live in a very damp place, at the bottom of a close in valley with two steep sides. Everything is always moist. Right now it's 61* F, and 89% humidity. My firewood never gets very dry. I've used kiln dried wood from the mulch plant, but usually need to work to get the fire started. The flat part of the hollow, where the year-round stream is, is only about 40 yards wide where my house is, and the house is about 20 feet off the bottom. I'm talking moist, with two tall sides of the valley draining rainfall straight to the bottom, where I am.

I still think the wood would dry if split and stacked off the ground with a top cover. If it isn't possible to have dry wood then heating with wood may not be in the cards for you.

Reactions: Hoytman
I still think the wood would dry if split and stacked off the ground with a top cover. If it isn't possible to have dry wood then heating with wood may not be in the cards for you.
A good, well-ventilated wood shed could help that happen.

Reactions: Hoytman