Mystery Wood??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ReggieT

Aug 13, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys,

Merry belated Christmas.
I stumbled upon this wood a few days ago.
It was dead, down, and barkless. It was kinda tough on the chains and splits rather tough.
Doesn't smell or look like any red oak I've gathered. The weight is average.
I have no ideal identifying helps such as bark, leaves, twigs, or buds.
Yet, it smells really good and sweet, almost like soap or deodorant!
I've heard everything from yellow locust, black cherry, red maple, and the most popular red elm!
Any ideas?
This was found in north Alabama.

Thanks,
Reg
20191229_123559.jpg20191227_151112.jpg20191226_155116.jpg20191226_144406.jpg

Red elm is my guess, purely a guess.

It's not black cherry.

Hey Guys,

Merry belated Christmas.
I stumbled upon this wood a few days ago.
It was dead, down, and barkless. It was kinda tough on the chains and splits rather tough.
Doesn't smell or look like any red oak I've gathered. The weight is average.
I have no ideal identifying helps such as bark, leaves, twigs, or buds.
Yet, it smells really good and sweet, almost like soap or deodorant!
I've heard everything from yellow locust, black cherry, red maple, and the most popular red elm!
Any ideas?
This was found in north Alabama.

Thanks,
Reg
View attachment 254376View attachment 254377View attachment 254378View attachment 254379
might be locus

Locust. Great firewood.

I have it all around my place in the NC mountains. Dead, down and barkless. The locust blight killed 'em all 20 years ago.

I sure be tickled pink if it was locust of any variety, yet I 'm wondering is it ironwood?

I sure be tickled pink if it was locust of any variety, yet I 'm wondering is it ironwood?
Could be, so hard to tell when its like that, either wood is awesome firewood, if you get a long hot burn you'll know it's some kind of high btu wood.

• Love
Reactions: ReggieT