The Backyard Lumberjack (Book Review)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Excellent read and very informative! Book written by father and son growing up in the New England woods. Being in the Woodshed, I only think this is pertinent. Quoted directly from book...

Trees I have Burned

Alder: firewood source out west. But at only 14 million btu per cord, it makes a Yankee grateful for maple.

Apple: the cook's favorite for flavor, apples makes good firewood because it burns so hot.

Ash: Of the hardwoods, ash is last to unfurl its leaves and first to drop them. It's straight grained and easy to split and dries quickly.

Aspen: i call it popple. It's pretty, but it's also pretty sorry cordwood.

Beech: the beech is stubborn hardwood. It just doesn't want to go down and is seemingly able to hold itself up by the merest twig, when by all rights and woodcraft it ought to be timbering. The beech's busy fingers also seem to snag more belt loops, whip more eyeballs, and generally add injury to obstruction in the woodlot. It has skin like an elephant and a memory just as long. There is a good side, though: Beech is actually one of our better sources of heat.

Birch: white, yellow, gray, black, and paper birch all grow fast and pretty and die young. They pack decent firewood in an attractive wrapper.

Cherry: sometimes straight as a rail, sometimes crooked as they come. Cherry has rough bark and orange wood that raise human spirits and warm our hearts.

Elm: old-timers have an apparently irrational mania about the elm. There are rhymes about what a pisser it is to split and how little heat it bequeaths. I am here to report to you that this prejudice is entirely justified. Elm will eat your axes and your mauls, your wedges and your labor. It will warm you twice in the woodlot, but precious little in the living room.

Hemlock: i hate to say anything on God's earth isn't worth the effort. Maybe we'll leave it at this: God didn't put Hemlock in your woodpile, so why should you?

Hickory: What's good for the barbeque is good for the woodstove.

Hornbeam: known as hop or American hornbeam, muscle wood, and ironwood, the tree contains very hard wood. It burns well when dry.

Locust: the dense bark demands extra drying time, but once locust is dry it is light and oily and throws serious heat.

Maple: the staple of the diet of the typical New England stove is maple. Red maple, also known as Swamp maple and other more derogatory terms, contains considerably less heat then its cousin, sugar maple, so you need to be able to tell them apart. You might guess this by hefting a piece of each when first cut: The sugar maple is denser and heavier.

Mesquite: it burns sweet and hot.

Oak: it's the good stuff: dense, heavy, and full of btus. Oaks come in red, white, scarlet, black, and pin (stripe).

Pine: white pin has the soft needles that remind me of christmas; long-leaf and pitch pines have lots of resin; ponderosa pine reaches huge heights. I used to cut lots of pulpwood; the pages of this book might be pine, in fact. These are all important virtues, but not to be confused with firewood. The high resin content will start a fire, for sure. But burning a whole load of it will leave a coating of creosote in your chimney increasing your chances of a chimney fire.

Walnut: don't burn tomorrow's furniture today.

Source

Philbrick, Frank & Stephen (2006). The backyard lumberjack: the ultimate guide to felling, bucking, splitting & stacking.

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 611
Stax said:
...Pine...not to be confused with firewood. The high resin content will start a fire, for sure. But burning a whole load of it will leave a coating of creosote in your chimney increasing your chances of a chimney fire...

Once again, a so called (self-anointed?) authority perpetuating a myth. Properly seasoned, dry Pine is perfectly good firewood...which is a good thing for a whole lot of us in the Pacific Northwest and regions to the north. Rick

That double bit axe on the cover speaks volumes to the info inside. Now if fossil's avatar was on there, I might open it ;-P

pen

Stax - Have you finished the book? I'm surprised you give it such a good review.

I was in Borders during a going out of business sale and picked-up this book for a few $. I figured, why not? I thought it was terrible.

It was fun to read the various yarns of wood gathering and splitting, but there was almost no useful information about wood burning as we (hearth.com) know it. I liked the story he told about walking around NY city with an axe to find some wood to practice for a logging competition. Funny image. I found it too be more of a storybook since the 'lumberjack' content was very topical. Can't say it taught me anything I didn't learn here in my first 2 days. And, the topic of burning should have been skipped at together. Seasoning could not have gotten more than a sentence or two. No mention of any moisture content guidelines and I don't think creosote got much of a discussion either. I particularly remember that comment about pine and being quite agitated. That is about the level of expertise this book offered.

I read it and decided it was not worthy of my bookshelf. I placed it on the 'free-to-take-or-borrow-shelf' at the public pool. By the time I left that day, it was gone! Not sure if I really should have shared the limited knowledge in that book...just might make someone dangerous.

Thread got my thinking.... does anyone have a recommended book related to wood processing/burning? I find it hard to believe that a book would contain better info that one could get from following these forums but if there was a decent book it might be interesting.

Somebody here should write it.

If you go to Amazon and search books for something like "tree felling" (or whatever), you'll get zillions of hits. I've heard good things on these forums about one book: "To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson...but it may be a bit difficult to find. I've not read it. Rick

To Fell a Tree is an excellent cutting reference, but does not have much about firewood or burning.

What's a feller to do...?

Good pun Dan.

Steve, my son has been prompting me for quite some time to write a book. I think it has already been written here on hearth.com

Cygnus...interesting reply, yes I did finish the book. My first comment was, "excellent read". Not the all encompassing, greatest book ever regarding woodburning, stove operation and moisture content readings. The book is about exactly what the subtitle refers too. Felling, bucking, splitting and stacking, all of which are thoroughly discussed. Ya see, I was raised in a suburban development. There were no houses that backed up to the woods (well maybe a couple) or any Zap/Backwoods Savage woodlots. My father never owned a chainsaw or knew the concept of seasoned wood. Growing up I never learned these basics to harvesting wood and found what I read to be informative. Afterall, the book wasn't composed to discuss the differences between cast iron & soapstone stoves, or how to install one for that matter.

Hearth.com is going to be hard to compete with when it comes to woodburning and every subtitle beneath the sun. I will say that. I will agree with you on the topic of burning and seasoning as well as pine comment (Rick mentioned that as well). Not being worth your bookshelf? Suit yourself, but I'll have no problem storing it upon mine. We all have opinions and are entitled to share them. Lastly, I think your "just might make someone dangerous" comment was ill suited and baseless. In no way shape or form was the content of this book injurious.

Stax, I thank you for bringing this book to our attention...and I'm glad you found it informative. I think it would be a monumental task to set out to write a book that covered every aspect of woodburning...selecting and installing an appliance, and getting fuel from stump to stove. Just too much, and the appliance landscape changes more quickly than such a book could take shape. To really cover all of what we routinely discuss here on these forums would take a shelf full of books, I think. And, as you point out, Stax, any single author can't know everything or be completely unbiased...so any given book may well contain some very valuable information as well as some questionable/useless/downright bogus information. Such is the nature of human fallibility. Thanks again...makes me think we might even consider having a book review forum...I'll run it past the boss. Rick

Stax said:
Cygnus...interesting reply, yes I did finish the book. My first comment was, "excellent read". Not the all encompassing, greatest book ever regarding woodburning, stove operation and moisture content readings. The book is about exactly what the subtitle refers too. Felling, bucking, splitting and stacking, all of which are thoroughly discussed. Ya see, I was raised in a suburban development. There were no houses that backed up to the woods (well maybe a couple) or any Zap/Backwoods Savage woodlots. My father never owned a chainsaw or knew the concept of seasoned wood. Growing up I never learned these basics to harvesting wood and found what I read to be informative. Afterall, the book wasn't composed to discuss the differences between cast iron & soapstone stoves, or how to install one for that matter.

Hearth.com is going to be hard to compete with when it comes to woodburning and every subtitle beneath the sun. I will say that. I will agree with you on the topic of burning and seasoning as well as pine comment (Rick mentioned that as well). Not being worth your bookshelf? Suit yourself, but I'll have no problem storing it upon mine. We all have opinions and are entitled to share them. Lastly, I think your "just might make someone dangerous" comment was ill suited and baseless. In no way shape or form was the content of this book injurious.

Stax - Glad you got something from the book and, it's true, Hearth.com is hard to compete with.

In terms of being dangerous, I recall the stories of the two brothers harvesting wood in October for that winter's burn. It struck me as the type of thing we all shake our heads at round here. Perhaps my memory is incorrect...wish I had it now for a refresher :)

I like the idea of book reviews...

I looked at this book at Amazon. Decided not to get it based on a review by a USFS guy saying some of the felling methods were downright dangerous.

Decided instead to get "Homeowner's Complete Guide to the Chainsaw". So far, so good. It certainly won't replace hearth.com for me. Got inspired to get this based on a recent post on a USFS chainsaw safety class. Easier to read a book than a 99 page pdf for me.

Cyg...I don't recall the October split. I have to check again as well, but odds are I'll probably forget. JV...good research. Guess that's what this is all about. Research and information. Over and out.

Flatbedford said:
To Fell a Tree is an excellent cutting reference, but does not have much about firewood or burning.

I have both books...Start with the OP's first. I got mine for x-mass a couple years ago it is a good beginner. Nothing I have seen touchs To fell a tree though!

Got Wood said:
Thread got my thinking.... does anyone have a recommended book related to wood processing/burning? I find it hard to believe that a book would contain better info that one could get from following these forums but if there was a decent book it might be interesting.

"Wood heat" by John Vivian is pretty good, although it's from the mid 70's.

JV_Thimble said:
I looked at this book at Amazon. Decided not to get it based on a review by a USFS guy saying some of the felling methods were downright dangerous.

Decided instead to get "Homeowner's Complete Guide to the Chainsaw". So far, so good. It certainly won't replace hearth.com for me. Got inspired to get this based on a recent post on a USFS chainsaw safety class. Easier to read a book than a 99 page pdf for me.

A very good book for new chainsaw users. Brian and Jen are major figures in the professional competitive chainsaw carving world. I've spoken to Brian on the phone on a few occasions, and he is a very knowledgeable and helpful guy about all aspects of chainsaw use. He is also the only U.S. source for the diminutive but spunky RedMax 3200, a superlative, high-revving arborist saw. Get 'em while you can, heard he is on his last pallet of them and they are real sweeties.

I really love the Jay Shelton books for general wood heating info:

"The Woodburner's Encyclopedia"
"Solid Fuels Encyclopedia"

More info than you will ever need on what goes on onside the box, but quite dated regarding the newer stoves. You can find both of them on Amazon used books and they are worth adding to the hearth-related bookshelf.

Brian appeared at the Iowa State Fair here demonstrating several times daily during its 10 day run from 1997 to 2004 I believe.Another carver named A.J.Lutter from Minnesota has appeared every year since then.Both men are quite personable,very talented & love to answer questions from the audience.

A.J.'s another big name carver. Those guys get good money for those performance gigs. Upwards of $1000/day. Some of them are earning six figures. I'd make a run at that myself if I was a younger man. I don't think the world wants to watch a fat old dude pushing 60 who takes all day to carve a one-hour bear, though. %-P

Got Wood said:

This is so true; any book you get will be the opinion (with some facts I am sure) of mostly one person. While here, you have the collective knowledge of hundreds who bring along their true opinion and much greater facts. So, my suggestion would be why not somehow start a "best of" for each section of the forums? If each topic had the functionality of being rated, then some of the better threads over the years would be captured in that area.

Food for thought! :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.