N.H. guys town felled trees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Anyone know the deal with trees that have been cut down by the town? There is a HUGE tree that the town cut down and dropped into the woods. It has been there since I moved in during march.

I wanna go grab it! I E-mailed the town but don't really expect a speedy response.

The guy's with the first dibs is the land owner. What town are you in?
Do you have a road agent or a public works? Swing over and talk with them, they are guys who are in the know.
We usually drop a tree and give the landowner a while to grab it. And then if the landowner doesn't want it, the town gets rid of it. Now thats the key part and why you have to get in the good with the highway guys. We just got rid of a 40+ oak that the landowner didn't want. Hardwood isn't going to be easy to get. The most of the crew probably burns wood and will take the good stuff, but its worth asking about. If you want pine you'll get more than you know what to do with.

I am over here in Derry. I E-mailed the town public works office but do not expect a swift reply. The base of the tree is a couple feet from the road and they dropped it into the woods. I guess it could be some ones land.

Thats why I was asking the questions here and E-mailing the town. If nothing concrete then I will simply knock on doors.

As I said, it has been down since before I got into this neighbor hood and that was march.

It is a big pine and you know those people who won't burn pine! But it is free and that is the best wood as far as I am concerned!

Well I can tell you that our Road Agent hasn't even turned on a his computer since he got it 4 years ago.
Somethings are done better in person. And they can probably tell you who the landowner is.
Like I said usually if you want pine you get plenty for free.

It depends. I've grabbed wood from the side of the road before, but there are times I would want to talk to the landowner too, such as posted signs or even just being obviously into his/her land.

Status
Not open for further replies.