N/S, or E/W for a NC-13?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I went back through a few threads on the "search", but couldn't find anything, so I apologize. So real quick, which works better for the -13? I am getting ready to cut some more, and 10" works for a N/S loading. Suggestions? Thanks, JB

n/s loading works best for me, and I think most others. I will load a couple n/s then put 1 or 2 smaller splits e/w on top, seems to work well. Leave Brother Bart alone North of 60 or he'll get mad....we don't wanna see that now...

I have a similar box and love to burn N/S, but it takes more work with the chainsaw and stacking 10" splits very high has been pretty hard for me in the past. it is easier to split 10" rounds, though, that's for sure (if hand splitting is a concern)

If I had a guy pulled up and asked me which load of free firewood i'd rather have it would be the 10" over 16-18" every day. It will season faster and burns pretty well like that.

BK,

I like the E/W way with a channel plowed in the ash from the zipper air to the back. 16-18" With the channel, reloading goes quick and the load burns all the way through.
The thing I noticed the most was how much the coal bed size has to do with temps and over firing. On normal reload I do 4 medium splits with good results, if I want more wood in there, I have to really burn down the coals first or we'll cruise at 700+. Thats to hot for me.

Alittle late, but N/S does better in the 13, BK. When it's really cold, a bed of N/S, a layer of E/W, then another layer N/S will give the Dixette a good coal bed in the morning for a restart 7 hours later. Temps will have already started to drop, but nothing umbearable. Primo wood is key.

I never, ever in my life thought I'd refer to firewood as primo, but there you have it ;-P

Thanks Dix. I'm gonna do the 10" and 18" stack for the widdle booger. I've got room for about 2-2.5 cord close to the door closest to the stove. Should be good for a while. ;-) All Primo of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.