Name this stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1 Match

Hearth Supporter
Feb 13, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Does anyone know the make and/or model of this stove? I may be buying it used (obviously) for $200. Is this a good deal? Measurements are: 29 1/2" high, 14" wide and 28" long. I was told that there is no damage and no missing pieces. This will go in my upstairs bedroom where the temp can get to 60F, even with the Lopi burning downstairs. Hopefully it is not too powerful for the bedroom. Thanks.

Attachments

• Wood Stove 01.jpg
    Wood Stove 01.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 372
  • Wood Stove 02.jpg
    Wood Stove 02.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 365
Run!

OK, this one is easy. If the stove does not name itself, meaning if it does not clearly say Jotul on the front door, then it is most certainly the taiwan copy of the Jotul - sold for $95. to $129.00 new at discount lumber yards.

Not worth $200 by any means unless it says Jotul.

Also, I don't think wood stoves can go in bedrooms.

So, you've seen this stove before as a Jotul knockoff?

Is it a code issue with putting a stove in a bedroom?

Thanks.

Jotul has some Norge writings on the side, design looks just like a Jotul (Norwegian friend of mine had one), but not detail.

1 Match said:

Thanks.

Yes, I believe it is a code issue - usually related to combustion air and lack of being open to other rooms. I have seen inspectors allow exceptions when a bedroom is not really a "bedroom", that is very large or open to the house (lofts, etc.).

I have seen these stoves many a time when they were being sold - 1979-81. The company lost a lawsuit to Vermont Castings and closed up (they also copied VC)

Webmaster said:
I have seen these stoves many a time when they were being sold - 1979-81. The company lost a lawsuit to Vermont Castings and closed up (they also copied VC)

That was during the energy crisis, right?

It similar to the cheap China copy diesel generators that were sold around Y2K, total garbage.

Webmaster said:
1 Match said:

Thanks.

Yes, I believe it is a code issue - usually related to combustion air and lack of being open to other rooms. I have seen inspectors allow exceptions when a bedroom is not really a "bedroom", that is very large or open to the house (lofts, etc.).

Thanks, Craig.

I have a message into the seller asking them to check again for a name. I'm going to call my local stove guy and see if he knows the rules for NY. Thanks again.

Looks like a knockoff of a 118 to me. Not a Jotul. If genuine it would have this poem above the door:
Eg grev ned min eld
Sent om kveld
Naar dagen er slut
Gud gje min eld
Alder slokna ut

Status
Not open for further replies.