Napolean NPS45 ..is it dead?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to johneh - have you ever cleaned out the WINDINGS on the motors, especially the combustion motor? They get clogged with dust and overheat. The internal thermal switch then shuts off the motor, which causes a loss of draft, which causes smoke in the house. Hmmm.... coincidence? It's a likely place to start, anyway.
I bought my stove used, and took the motors outside to blow the windings out. I was stunned by how much dust came out! So now, every year, I remove the motors and blow them out, and get a noticeable amount of dust out of them - but nothing like the first time!

The combustion fan must be stopping
There is no natural draft so the smoke finds the exit of least resistance
I presume there is no OAC installed
The amount of smoke also indicates that there is no draft
To me after 15 min and it shuts down that the proof of fire
switch is not working also . You have more than one problem

Ok, so what sends the signal for the combustion fan to shut off?
(BTW, the stove is on ,manual mode)
What's OAC?
And also, since bypassing the Vac switch, I'm not sure it DOES shut off now, but we're
only shutting it off b/c of the billowing smoke.

Also, I read voltage to the comb fan when it kicked on: 96VAC
Does that sound right? vs 120VAC?

Man, I appreciate you folks hangin in there with me..
Rich

To add to johneh - have you ever cleaned out the WINDINGS on the motors, especially the combustion motor? They get clogged with dust and overheat. The internal thermal switch then shuts off the motor, which causes a loss of draft, which causes smoke in the house. Hmmm.... coincidence? It's a likely place to start, anyway.
I bought my stove used, and took the motors outside to blow the windings out. I was stunned by how much dust came out! So now, every year, I remove the motors and blow them out, and get a noticeable amount of dust out of them - but nothing like the first time!

ooh interesting.... maybe THAT'S next on the list of tasks...
Thanks mate,
R

Hi.If your chimney/flue/exhaust is good/clean,and this is a used stove,you may still have a blockage.Jumper the vacuum switch,and run stove,report results.The exhaust blower is on one side,and the crossover in the back of the stove could be partially plugged.Everything you describe is a partially blocked stove exhaust.There are other possible problems,but lets just start out basic.Check that crossover channel.

Don't see any crossover channel, but I think I've cleaned out everywhere I can...I think

btw, after removing the COMB blower, I realize...DUH you've already blown it out with compressed air...
;(
oh well, I'm getting really good at taking this beast apart

It should have been OAK not oac
Outside air kit supplies air for combustion
from outside . That way you are not using
warmed air from inside your house for combustion
Check the proof of fire switch AKA low limit switch
if it is blown or does not reach 140::F stove will shut down

So, put vacuum switch leads back on, restarted stove from fresh, on HEAT #1 setting.
8:18-started stove
8:21-fire starting to build in pot
8:23-fire is larger & COMB fan kicks on
I look at the panel: #2 light is now flashing....cannot adjust flame; pellets have stopped dropping
8:24-flame is dying
8:28-flame is very small, with some pellets still remaining...COMB + EXH fans are still running:
here's what it looks like @ 8:28 ish:
IMG_3840.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG

8:34-flame is still dying... both fans are still running
8:35-""
8:36-""
8:37-""
8:38-"" pellets are almost burnt up
8:39- COMB fan just stopped; just a few red pellets left in the pot
8:41-pot is empty ;EXH fan still running;Heat#1 setting light ON; #2 light still flashing
8:43-hit the power switch: #2 light flashing only...
8:44-pulled the plug.

It should have been OAK not oac
Outside air kit supplies air for combustion
from outside . That way you are not using
warmed air from inside your house for combustion
Check the proof of fire switch AKA low limit switch
if it is blown or does not reach 140::F stove will shut down

hmmm not sure how I would test that, aside from replacing...?
Rich

To test switch remove 2 wires and join together
start stove and let it run . If it runs normal produces
heat say for 1 hour then replace the switch

you may have seen it, but I posted somewhere in this thread, that I did this a few days ago, using compressed air..
I remembered that, after I took the COMB motor off...again ;p

To test switch remove 2 wires and join together
start stove and let it run . If it runs normal produces
heat say for 1 hour then replace the switch

well, I can do that...

Be right back with more results!

Rich in Maine ..hoping this stove will work soon cause it's late Oct in Maine...

Bearings or motor going on the auger? It initially drops pellets correct? Have you checked voltage on the auger motor? Pellets not bridging in hopper (longer pellets)?

Hate to say it but beyond that, the board:(

Clarification: Combustion blower provides air/draft for the fire. The convection blower blows the heated air into the room. I think that there's a bit of confusion here. I would like to see you blow out the windings for the motor that provides draft for the fire - the combustion blower. If it overheats and stops, you lose your draft and get smoke in the house.

Seems like you have covered it well,could be the combustion motor quits running at the right speed,or just maybe impeller is not tight on motor shaft,heat loosens it up and slips when hot,then is ok next time after it cools down.Just some thoughts.

update: Turned it on this afternoon, not expecting anything different...and it's been cranking out heat for 45 minutes now...
:)
boy does it feel nice too
Not quite sure what/if somethign changed..
I've got all sensors connected back up..
actually, the two doors are off..
hmm

Congrats may have been a loose wire that you removed and reinstalled

It had a good cleaning and now you understand it's workings a whole lot better! Enjoy the heat:)

Status
Not open for further replies.