Napoleon 1100 Log Size / Hudson River Catskill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgriffin

Nov 9, 2010
RI
Hello All,

Looking for a bit of help with the Napoleon 1100c and comments on the Hudson River Catskill, and this sites seems to have a wealth of knowledge.

I am purchasing a new stove and interested in the Napoleon 1100c. I am hesitant to make the purchase due to conflicting information on firebox size, and subsaquent log size. Napoleon's web site states the firebox dimensions are (13 1/2w x 18h x 12d), while the manuel states the dimensions are (13 1/2d x 18w x 12h). I have tried contacting Napoleon without any luck.

I am concernd the stoves may only accomidate logs of 12-13" which are harder to come by than 16-18". Does anyone have any experience with this stove or can comment on this delema?

I am also looking at the Hudson River Catskill. It seems this stoves is a different animal than the Napoleon; lower BTU/hr and a bit smaller. I can't seem to find much info on this particular stove. Perhaps it is not very popular and written about for a reason? Does anyone have exerience with this stove or can comment on quality, length of burn, efficiency etc?

Thanks,
Matt

Here you go. Stove height is bottom to burn tube.

17 is about the max width I can use, thought it is technically 18 it is a b!@#$ trying to wiggle it in. Front back is to the firebrick is 12" max. When I get wood delivered I tend to get some that are 19 - 22 inches so I cut them in half and burn north to south, works well.

I am on my third year with the stove, happy with the heat and operation. Burn times IMO kind of suck. I got an 8 hour burn with a full load of store bought oak. The wood I normally burn is more softwoods. I average 5 hours with the right size split.

My problems is still with the "right size". What I consider the right size it too big and I can only fit two in. What I consider too small about 3 inch split is just about right.

Anything else?

Attachments

• width1.jpg
    width1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 385
  • fnttoback1.jpg
    fnttoback1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 385
  • stove height1.jpg
    stove height1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 394
Another comment, would I buy one again - without a doubt. I wish I didn't have to work so I could feed it more. The nicest benefit to the small size is it takes a short time to get a hot, clean burn. I love the full trivet I have room for two scented candles, steamer and thermometer (and occasional keeping the food warm). The trivet temp during warm up is usually about 100 degrees different from stovetop, then once warm usually holds the temp for about a half hour longer.

When I first got the stove I couldn't understand why people were getting 600 - 700 degree stove top and I was only getting 300 - 500, then I realized it's the trivet. For a while I slid the trivet out so I could have a thermometer on the stove top and the trivet to get some idea of the difference. It was sort of a disaster at first because I had to use the stove tools to prop the front of trivet up when it was slid out so I could get the door open. Now three years late i'm much more comfortable with it.

Attachments

• stovetop1.jpg
    stovetop1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 379
Hey Mgriffin,

I have the insert version of that stove. I like it. It does a pretty good job heating my house. I wish I had bought the 1402 (the larger model-longer burn times). That being said, I am finding that burning 12" splits north south gets a much better and longer burn. I can jam it packed full of 10-12" oak splits and I'm getting longer burns. It seems to be a good stove. If I were you I'd opt for the larger model. It's just a few hundred bucks more and seems to be significantly better. Longer burns= =less reloads=less work. When I was looking around to upgrade I found the best deals at http://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog/ethumbs.aspx?N=109+20000066+9227500. Hope that helps. I wish someone said this to me when I was looking. My stove guy screwed me. Also if you buy before the end of December you get that 30% tax rebate. I sound like a salesman.

Thanks everyone for your insight. Can't question the firebox size when there is a picture of a tape in it; thats a great help! I am going to go for the 1100C. The larger 1400 model would be nice with longer burn times, but may be too much for our 900sf home. I prefer the cast iron as well.

Thanks Again, Matt

Sounds good. Good luck! Head's up. This becomes addicting. Also, start gathering some dry wood now. The biggest problem we all have the first year is wet wood. Hope it works out well for you. This forum is a great help to newbies like us.

Status
Not open for further replies.