Napoleon 1400 Door Glass "Fog"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotoBoyMatt

Hearth Supporter
Nov 4, 2008
Wisconsin
Just got a Napoleon 1400 and burned a few fires in it, getting some light "fogging" on the bottom corners of the door glass, firebox bricks and baffles are clean, does the fogging mean I'm not burning hot enough?

A light haze or fogging is normal in the corners of the glass in my opinion. It will burn off when you have a nice hot long fire (don't sweat it).

Kinda what I figured, thanks for the reassurance.
Haven't had much chance to burn it too hot or long as a record breaking heat wave hit Wisconsin this week.

MotoBoyMatt said:
Kinda what I figured, thanks for the reassurance.
Haven't had much chance to burn it too hot or long as a record breaking heat wave hit Wisconsin this week.

You will have a little ash haze that forms on the inside of the glass. Clean the glass once a day with ammonia-free glass cleaner. If you use ammonia, the haze will slowly become permanent.

Even better just wipe that haze with moist newspaper dipped in ash, or in cases like mine just a moist papertowel takes it off.

Yep. Ash haze. I let my fire go out the other morning (we're having a heat wave), and cleaned the glass. It's good as new now. I used ammonia cleaner, but will refrain in the future because I don't want the haze to be permanent.

Another great tip from hearth.com! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.