Napoleon 1900 ash dump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myriadvisions

Hearth Supporter
Dec 30, 2008
Ellsworth, Maine
Greetings!

I have been a lurker on these forums for awhile, taking in all your good advice etc. I finally have something to write about.

My finance and I recently bought his parent's house. The house came with a Nepoloeon 1900 wood stove. We have been using it thus far as our primary source of heat. For awhile now I have been suspecting that we are burning a lot of wood, more than I thought we would use. My cousin was loading up the firebox to start a fire and pointed out to me that our ash dump well lacks a door to separate it from the ash dump. Should there be a door there? All mine has is a lever under the ash ledge that moves this arm back and forth under the ash well. I have called the company but they are closed through the holidays. The local dealers are no help (very surprising) and the manual is not as clear as I would like it to be. In the meantime I put an extra firebrick over the hole. So does anyone know if there is supposed to be a door or not? Thanks in advance for all your help! Juliette

Yes, it should have a spring-loaded metal door there. Or some sort of ash plug - my 1100C manual shows a plug but actually has the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.